Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Garbanzo beans  (Read 3707 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Garbanzo beans
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:51 am »
I live in an area where dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas) are a common agricultural product. A friend gave me a big ziploc bag full of them, and I am trying to figure out what to do with them. Hummus and falafel are on the list, but of course my mind switched to brewer-mode. Any chance I can cook them up and throw them in the mash?

By the way, a two gallon ziploc full of dried garbanzos is surprisingly heavy - those things are dense.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Garbanzo beans
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:44:06 am »
One of my favorite legumes! I know flour is made out of chickpeas and baked bread type products. However, I'm not sure you would want that flavor in your beer? As an adjunct it'll probably lend a vegetal flavor to the finished product.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:35 am »
Back in the day (thing 18th century) when everybody was a homebrewer and grew alot of their own ingredients, when a farmer sent his barley to the malt house to be malted they would mix in some variouis beans so that they knew they were getting the same grain back as they sent to the maltster in the first place. They didn't then pick through the hundreds of pounds of malt to remove the beans/peas (which had also been 'malted' at that point) they just brewed with it.

That being said, I have never brewed with beans and have no idea what the results would be like. I suspect they would be very neutral but who knows. I think you should try it. what's the worst that could happen?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:27 am »
according to this: Chickpea Flour
1 cup of flour has
Fat content: 6.15 gm
Protein : 20.6 gm
Carbs: 53.19gm

For comparison: Barley Malt Flour
1 cup:
Fat: 2.98 gm
Protein: 16.65 gm
Carbs: 126.8 gm

In other words, twice the fat and less than half the potential sugars and the protein is a wash really.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:11 am »
add garlic, lemon, citric acid = hummus beer. Serve with pita beer!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:50:52 am »
add garlic, lemon, citric acid = hummus beer. Serve with pita beer!

Summit + Sorachi Ace for hops & a touch of acidulated malt maybe?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »
Back in the day (thing 18th century) when everybody was a homebrewer and grew alot of their own ingredients, when a farmer sent his barley to the malt house to be malted they would mix in some variouis beans so that they knew they were getting the same grain back as they sent to the maltster in the first place. They didn't then pick through the hundreds of pounds of malt to remove the beans/peas (which had also been 'malted' at that point) they just brewed with it.

This just confuses me.  If they didn't pick through it, how would they know the beans were there and that they got the right grain back?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:26:19 pm »

This just confuses me.  If they didn't pick through it, how would they know the beans were there and that they got the right grain back?

Visual inspection. They put black red and white beans in, black red and white beans are still in. good enough. It's not like they put three beans in they put a bushel or so in with 20-30 bushels of barley.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce