Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to make Flaked Maize/Corn?  (Read 40485 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: How to make Flaked Maize/Corn?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »
I'd dissagree about the cereal mash. A cereal mash is to make starches in hard grains available to the enzymes. Flaked maize avoids this by increasing the surface/body ratio so that water and enzymes can easily penetrate the kernel.  Sweet corn is so juicy that just cutting the kernels off is going to expose any starches to the mash enzymes.  I'd just smash the corn up and add it to the mash.

flaked grain avoids the need for a cereal mash because the starch is already gelatinezed. It is throughly steamed before rolling. You may not need a cereal mash for sweet corn but it is not because of surface area.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
How to make Flaked Maize/Corn?
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:03:48 am »
I'd dissagree about the cereal mash. A cereal mash is to make starches in hard grains available to the enzymes. Flaked maize avoids this by increasing the surface/body ratio so that water and enzymes can easily penetrate the kernel.  Sweet corn is so juicy that just cutting the kernels off is going to expose any starches to the mash enzymes.  I'd just smash the corn up and add it to the mash.

I was wondering along the same lines but since I had never used it I wasn't sure. Hence the reason I said you "might" need one.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:08 am »

The flaking process results in the corn being gelatanized, making the starch available to the enzymes.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:57 am »
But because sweet corn has more sugar than starch, skip the cereal mash and see what happens.  You may not get 100% of the fermentables but I think you're after the fresh corn flavour anyway so it probably doesn't matter. 
I'd add 4 lbs of raw kernels to the mash (and I'd even throw the cobs in after it's cut off to get all the corny goodness).