Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer recipe credit  (Read 2077 times)

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
Beer recipe credit
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »
I am going to be entering a couple beers in competitions that were based on recipes I found online or in magazines. I did not brew any of the recipes identical to the original recipes. I changed either the yeast, types and amounts of malts and/or hops. One recipe I only chagned the yeast and the amount of spices added.

Evan though the recipes I brewed are not exact to the original recipes, but based on the original recipes, should I name them the original recipe names? Should I just make a note on the entry sheet which recipe I based mine on?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Beer recipe credit
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »
Since you changed either the malts, hops, or yeast, you have made it your own.  I don't think you need to mention the original recipe.  Remember, they got their idea for that recipe probably from another recipe.
Dan Chisholm

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:08:04 pm »
I think it's fair to add an "inspired by" credit if you're sharing the recipe in detail, but I don't think it's fair to use the exact name of the beer if it's not the exact same recipe.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »
Name it what you want, it is your beer. I think it is fine to credit the original if you want, but 3 points come to mind. 1- Organizers probably won't care and the judges won't see the entry sheets either. 2- Brewing technique accounts for 50% or more of your beer's quality. 3- I imagine many, many competition entries are brewed from kits.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jlo

• Cellarman
Beer recipe credit
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »
By default I use the name of the recipe if I found it on a forum or a book and followed the recipe exactly, otherwise I just add a "Kinda like a " to the beginning more so that I can remember what I entered.

I know we can enter the name we want, but I may suck at naming.