Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Covers  (Read 1440 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Covers
« on: September 19, 2012, 06:41:15 pm »
I was flippin through the channels over the weekend and saw The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo was on.  I've read the book, so I decided to watch the movie.  The opening titles rocked me back in my seat  I am a Led Head, but never have much cared for any covers of their songs.. until now.  This cover of Immigrant Song and the opening title sequence are awesome!  It speaks to my Viking blood.

So here I sit at my computer station doing what I have to do for work half the time - research, design, and reporting.  Only now I've got my Led out. 

I kinda let Led Zeppelin fall by the wayside of the playlist rotation for a while now.  Funny how a cover can reinvigorate a passion for the original.  What's old is new again...

The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands...
On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Delo

• Brewer
Re: Covers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:16 am »
On two somewhat related notes.
I did not see the movie, but read the book.  My parents gave me the DVD to watch, but my wife wants to read the book and wants me to wait to watch it until she reads it. The opening title you posted was great. I may have to watch it without her.

I am a Zeppelin fan, but they also had not been in my playlist for a while.  I recently heard the Willie Dixon version of I Can't Quit You Baby and that started me listening to them again recently.  Funny how the original version can reinvigorate a passion for a cover... what was older made something old new again....or something like that.
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Covers
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:52 am »
I have not seen the movie either- but, what a cover! Wasn;t sure if it was Marylin Manson but a search turns up Trent Reznor and Karen O... A 007'ish title sequence but also badass!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis