Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Correct BJCP category for Imperial Stout with Bourbon, Oak, and Vanilla beans.  (Read 7997 times)

Offline drummerboyseth

• 1st Kit
I brewed a RIS back in February that was aged in secondary with Oak cubes, vanilla beans and Maker's Mark Bourbon.  I want to enter it in a homebrew competition next month.  I was wondering if it would be more correct to enter it as a 13F (Russian Imperial Stout), or a 22C (Wood aged beer), or maybe even category 23 (specialty beer)?

I do not want to lose points based on entering the beer in the incorrect category.  The base beer fits the RIS category pretty well, except the IBU's are just a little on the lower end of the scale.  It is 9.5% ABV, black as midnight, and about 57 IBU.  Any thoughts about where this beer would best fit are greatly appreciated.
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to brew and he will waste a lifetime.  (Bill Owen)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Take your pick.  I personally think the wood aged category might be best, as its a solid recipe and there are fewer beers in that category.  23 is a crap shoot, and it might just get dinged in 13F for the extra ingredients.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
If all those additions are evident in the aroma or flavor, then you should list the extra ingredients and put the beer into Cat 23, Specialty. 
If only the wood came through and only a slight vanilla flavor, then wood-aged beer would be more appropriate, as a bourbon-bbl aged beer.  Judges may be fooled into thinking the vanlilla came from the barrel aging, but I don't really believe that. 
It definitely will not do well as an Imperial Stout (13F).
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline drummerboyseth

• 1st Kit
Thanks for the info.  I was leaning towards the "wood aged" category, but the Bourbon flavor is fairly prominent. I think I will go with "specialty" instead.  It sounds like that would be a better fit.
Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour.  Teach a man to brew and he will waste a lifetime.  (Bill Owen)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
I say enter it in 22C and just say it was aged in a whiskey barrel.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
You can (and I would) enter it in multiple categories.  Any of the one's already mentioned.
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.

Offline drummerboyseth

• 1st Kit
You can (and I would) enter it in multiple categories.  Any of the one's already mentioned.

Does this mean that I would need to enter 2 bottles for each category?

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO

Does this mean that I would need to enter 2 bottles for each category?

Yes, you would need to send 2 bottles for each category and also you will have to pay a separate entry fee for each entry.  I have entered the same beer, a cream ale, that won as both a cream ale and a kolsch.  The beer will be judged against the category you say it is.
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.

Offline drummerboyseth

• 1st Kit

[/quote]

Yes, you would need to send 2 bottles for each category and also you will have to pay a separate entry fee for each entry.  I have entered the same beer, a cream ale, that won as both a cream ale and a kolsch.  The beer will be judged against the category you say it is.
[/quote]

I will consider that option.  I don't know why I had not really thought of entering multiple categories with each beer.