Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for a Cerveza Bohemia Clone Recipe  (Read 6043 times)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Looking for a Cerveza Bohemia Clone Recipe
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:03:48 am »
Last week while visiting with my Uncle he mentioned a beer he really enjoyed when he and my Aunt were visiting Mexico many years ago. It's called Cerveza Bohemia. He's getting up in his years and I was hoping to brew a clone of one of his favorite beers. My research has found it to be based on a Czech Pilsner but that's about it. I was hoping someone might be able to help. I'm thinking a basic Czech Pilsner recipe to the stated 5.3% ABV but wasn't sure about malt (other than pilsner), the hops (Saaz?) or the yeast (WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast  or Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils. 

Here's a link to their website: http://www.cuamoc.com/es/cerveza/bohemia

I'd really appreciate any feedback you can offer.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Looking for a Cerveza Bohemia Clone Recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:04:14 am »
I would go with the standard Czech pils recipe bc the beer style that your talking about is the same as any other pils it just happens to be brewed in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Re: Looking for a Cerveza Bohemia Clone Recipe
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:26:41 am »
I thought it was a Vienna Lager but I found one source calling it a German Pils and another a Czech Pils.  I'm not fluent in Spanish or else I'd go to the CuauhtĂ©moc Moctezuma Brewery website to find out.  Either way, it's one of my favorite Mexican beers.

EDIT:  Negra Modelo, my other favorite Mexican Beer is a Vienna Lager.  Still not sure about Bohemia but I do like the fact I can detect a  nice malt flavor in the beer.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 06:32:16 am by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Looking for a Cerveza Bohemia Clone Recipe
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:30:59 am »
I'll probably go with a Czech Pils recipe. I think the maltiness you taste is due to a decocted mash, which I will incorporate into the process. Maybe a little Crystal 10 or Cara-Pils with the Pilsner Base Malt will add some sweetness and head retention to it as well.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!