Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Store in Alabama Raided  (Read 13290 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Homebrew Store in Alabama Raided
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:36 am »
Who could deny that if immersed in our culture, if only for a day?

When you get a moment do a search on "Alvin Holmes: what's wrong with the beer we got?"

OMG. :o

My point, while tongue firmly planted in cheek, is that their mindset is only going to change when they see that homebrewers are regular people and not derelicts and that our gatherings are about having fun and sharing the fruits of our hobby.  Who could deny that if immersed in our culture, if only for a day?

i feel your sentiment, however many of the mindsets down here are that alcohol is neither fun nor a fruit of a hobby.  it's more like da debil's juice.

Thank god we have Louisiana to insulate us from the extremes. Notice I said extremes. Texas falls somewhere in the middle... I'd like to see 24 hour beer and wine sale but that will never happen.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 10:39:37 am »
My point, while tongue firmly planted in cheek, is that their mindset is only going to change when they see that homebrewers are regular people and not derelicts and that our gatherings are about having fun and sharing the fruits of our hobby.  Who could deny that if immersed in our culture, if only for a day?

i feel your sentiment, however many of the mindsets down here are that alcohol is neither fun nor a fruit of a hobby.  it's more like da debil's juice.

I think you nailed it right there...and there lies the root of the problem. This is a tough hurdle for the homebrewers of Alabama to overcome. Persistence is key.
Ron Price

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 11:02:48 am »
Who could deny that if immersed in our culture, if only for a day?

When you get a moment do a search on "Alvin Holmes: what's wrong with the beer we got?"

love that one.  "The beer we got drank pretty good, don't it?"   ;D
also love his comments in the homebrewer bill debate about the govermant stamp on Chivas Regal that says it hethy.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 07:49:08 pm »
At least he drinks beer.  Sounds like he would be the perfect candidate to sit in with a brewer such as Majorvices - and see that his beer drank even better!  Seriously, they need to meet with homebrewers in order to overcome their ignorance and prejudices.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 08:50:58 pm »
the ignorance and prejudices are bred in people down here.  you can't even lead the horse to water....
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:00 am »
If only they had the intelligence of a horse...more like a mule it appears.  Good luck overcoming that, but keep trying and don't give up!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2012, 07:06:40 am »
If only they had the intelligence of a horse...more like a mule it appears.  Good luck overcoming that, but keep trying and don't give up!

On a historic canal boat ride in PA once, the guide said mules were better for pulling the boats because they will follow the path. Horses will walk straight until you tell them to turn - even if they are walking straight into the canal!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958