Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grist Gun  (Read 5956 times)

Offline jlo

• Cellarman
Grist Gun
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »
Kent Fletcher gave a talk at the AHA Conference this year and it included a device he called a "Grist Gun". I'm looking for a picture or two of said device.  The PDF had pics of some parts, but not the finished grist gun.  Anybody have a picture of said device?

Offline jlo

• Cellarman
Re: Grist Gun
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:05:33 pm »
I found a video with the beast in action.  I've assembled most of the parts for it, now I'm off to construct my version.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:33 am »
(craft beer) "... is just about $27 per gallon, which would make a five gallon batch about 110 bucks..." 

Interesting math.   

$15 per sixer of 12oz bottles is pretty steep too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:01:52 am »
(craft beer) "... is just about $27 per gallon, which would make a five gallon batch about 110 bucks..." 

Interesting math.   

just pay for four gallons, the fifth is free 8)
Don AHA member

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:57:24 am »
After watching that video, it gave me an idea on what I could do with my barley crusher mill.. Using some airduct pieces @ the hardware store, some L brackets and cotter pins, now I have my mill installed on my brewstation.

Tried it out on Saturday by doing a double batch of Pumpkin Ale (recipe from Radical Brewing) and a single batch of G.Strong's Old English Ale.   

It worked like a charm, easier mount/unmount and didn't have to stir the grain as much in the mashtun - there was some heated water already in the mashtun when we began crushing.
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline jlo

• Cellarman
Grist Gun
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:04 am »
AleForce - I think you found a winner for me.  I was going down the route of transferring the grist from the mill into a grist case and then from the grist case through the grist gun and into the mash tun.

I already have a motorized Monster Mill 3 with the extended hopper, and I can remove some equipment from my process by going straight from the mill into the mash tun.  I am a bit concerned with steam backing up into the mill, but if I mount it to the side I should be good to go.

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:26:37 am »
The functional part of the L brackets, cotter pins and air duct is so you can remove it in seconds if you need to.  I remove (the mill )after I am done milling, and later use the L brackets to mount my sparge arm since it doesn't fit over my 15 gal. mashtun...

Since the mill is much higher than the mashtun the steam isn't as big of a deal than if you just put the mill on top of the mashtun.  I tried that about 2 years ago when I was using 10 gal. coolers and the mill fit perfectly over the top of the cooler, but I wasn't happy with getting the bottom of the mill wet/steamed...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:28:31 am by AleForce »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:04:44 am »
You just want to be careful to keep everything clean with that kind of setup.  You don't want bits of grain or dust around where they could contaminate your wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:18:08 am »
I try not to mill in the same place where i will be brewing or fermenting. I take it outside. So much nasty stuff in that grain dust...caution indeed
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:28:58 am »
I saw Kent's "Brewgyver" talk in Seattle and got to see his grist gun in action.  I even took a couple of photos.  A very cool design for sure.  It certainly automates the process.
Ron Price

Offline brewgyver

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 06:28:39 pm »

Interesting math.   

OK, my arithmatic was under the influence!  ??? But as far as the $15 being steep, I was specifically talking about the beer we were making that day, a Belgian Holiday Ale, and the $27/gallon figure was actually low.  Anyway, we start our Shop Brews at 8 am, and we'd already been sampling some similar (> 9% ABV) brews, so my little grey cells were at a slight disadvantage  :).

Back to the topic, the heart of the grist gun is a flower bulb auger, available online for $20 or less.  About $5 in ABS (and one PVC) parts, and I made the stand with less than half a sheet of plywood.  If anybody wants I can email the NHC session Powerpoint, just shoot me an email: brewgyver@gmail.com
Mounting your mill above the MLT may work for some of you, but it wasn't an option for the Club system.  We brew at our host LHBS, and use the Shop's mill ( a Crank and Stein 328D).  So we crush, put the grist in empty 25kg malt bags, and take it out to the brew rig.  The Grist Gun neatly sits on top of the boil kettle, we dough in, and then it gets put in the Club House til the next brew. (edited for spelling email addy)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:28:47 pm by brewgyver »

Offline brewgyver

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:37 am »

Tried it out on Saturday by doing a double batch of Pumpkin Ale (recipe from Radical Brewing) and a single batch of G.Strong's Old English Ale.   

It worked like a charm, easier mount/unmount and didn't have to stir the grain as much in the mashtun - there was some heated water already in the mashtun when we began crushing.

AleForce, it looks like it would be pretty tight to stir around that!  And you mentioned "some" heated water in the tun?  It really is best to have ALL of your strike water in the tun, then stir constantly while adding the grist, which is why I made the Grist Gun in the first place - I was stuck doughing in 80+ lbs of grist when my two brew partners for the day were late.  If you add the grist and THEN stir, especially with less than your full volume of strike water, you're asking for doughballs and/or a stuck mash.

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:43:04 am »
We had all of the water we needed for the mash in there when we were milling. There is plenty of room to stir the grain if need be and the bottom piece can be rotated. After we finished milling we easily removed the bottom two pieces and stirred the grain. We didn't have to stir much as the grain was nicely distributed. No stuck mash either. Compared to milling in a bucket and having someone stir while another is slowly dumping the bucket of grain, this could easily be a one man process.

Also, after each brew session all of my equipment gets tore down and completely cleaned.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:02:14 pm by AleForce »

Offline brewgyver

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »
Sounds like it's working for ya!