Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitching frozen fruit  (Read 2243 times)

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
Pitching frozen fruit
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:00:36 pm »
Is it important to thaw frozen fruit\bring it to room temp before pitching it to secondary? Or can you just throw it in frozen. Dont want to shock the yeast in the thermal sense.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pitching frozen fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »
I don't think there's much of an issue with shocking the yeast, but thawing it will help break down the cell structure and extract the goodness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »
I generally agree with Denny. I think you can shock the yeast but the degree would depend on the amount/volume of frozen fruit to volume of beer.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:59:23 am »
I generally agree with Denny. I think you can shock the yeast but the degree would depend on the amount/volume of frozen fruit to volume of beer.

+1  I just put 13 lbs of cherries in a 5.5 gallon batch.  Had I not let them thaw and warm up a little first I think I would have dropped the wort temperature pretty significantly.
Clint
Wort Hogs