Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee Stout  (Read 3597 times)

Offline justinrice1127

• 1st Kit
Coffee Stout
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »
I am making my first beer with coffee, it will be a coffee stout.  I am brewing this for a local competition that is held in early November.  My friend owns a local coffee shop and sent me some of his roasted beans and some liquid espresso and cold brewed coffee.  He recommends that I put all three in the secondary fermenter, when the recipe that I am using vaguely states to just "add 3 oz of coffee to the secondary".  It doesn't specify as to grind them completely up, just crack them, or to just put them in without doing anything to them.  The recipe also doesn't state how long to leave the coffee in the secondary.  So, I wanted to see what you would recommend on 1) how to do the beans (grind up, crack, leave whole), 2) how long would you leave the beans in the secondary, and 3) would you or have you ever used the liquid espresso and or liquid cold brew....if so, how much and how long would you let it sit in the secondary before bottling?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Coffee Stout
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »
I use 2 methods for coffee beers.  First, I put 3-5 oz. of coarsely cracked beans (in a bag) in the fermenter after the bulk of fermentation has finished.  Then, when I bottle or keg, I add brewed coffee (or you could use your liquid espresso) to taste.  I prefer that to adding it to the fermenter because you can get just the right amount without too much guessing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:20:30 pm »
I use 2 methods for coffee beers.  First, I put 3-5 oz. of coarsely cracked beans (in a bag) in the fermenter after the bulk of fermentation has finished.  Then, when I bottle or keg, I add brewed coffee (or you could use your liquid espresso) to taste.  I prefer that to adding it to the fermenter because you can get just the right amount without too much guessing.

Denny, are you saying you do both on the same beer?

Or, these are two separate methods you have used?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:24:50 am »
I have used 2 different methods to get coffee flavor in my beer.

1. Espresso at bottling. I found this added good flavor, but I picked up no aroma of coffee in my porter that I used this in.

2. Cold Brewed Coffee. I got a lot more aroma out of this type of addition, but that may have been because of the lower alcohol content (2.6 to 6.5 abv).

that is my experience so far. YMMV. I do plan on adding coffee in different forms to more beers, and if I find more information, I will add it to the overall homebrew reference.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 06:58:21 am »
2. Cold Brewed Coffee. I got a lot more aroma out of this type of addition, but that may have been because of the lower alcohol content (2.6 to 6.5 abv).

I've done this as well and liked the results.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Coffee Stout
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:50:15 am »

Denny, are you saying you do both on the same beer?

Or, these are two separate methods you have used?

Yeah, I use both on the same beer.  Different effects

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:57 am »
I third the cold brewed coffee method.  I add about 16 ounces of strong cold brewed coffee at kegging. That's for the 4 gallon batches I usually make, so it may vary for a 5 gallon batch. Depends how much coffee flavor/aroma you want too. What I do works well for me.
Jesse