Other than Brewing > The Pub

Meetup with Euge

<< < (3/3)

alcaponejunior:
One more note... Just brewed my first batch with the new setup.  The turkey fryer actually came with a 7.5 gallon pot, which was perfect for what I needed, saving me the effort of buying a new pot for the moment.  I "seasoned" it by boiling some water in it before I made my first batch of San Antonio beer (my 4th AG batch, FWIW).  Because of the new pot, I will go back to five gallon batches on my next batch.  I can easily boil up to about 6 gallons without fear of boil-over, as long as I pay attention. 

The freezer with controller was working quite perfectly, 66F pretty steady.  But... I broke the damn thermometer near the end of my brew!  It was just the steel shot that broke, and didn't contaminate my beer or anything, but alas I am currently not checking my temps anymore!  I should have a new unbreakable thermometer by thurs or fri.  Currently the beer is in the freezer but doesn't have a monitoring thermometer.  It will be fine. :D

Water: I still smell funky chemical aromas in both the water at my brother's house and my mother's house, so I used bottled spring water.  Five bucks worth of water is worth it to avoid pouring out four gallons of beer!

Hops: used fuggles leaf in paint strainer bags, worked great.  Made sure to dispose of the hops out of reach of animals.

cheers!

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: alcaponejunior on December 04, 2012, 02:57:28 PM ---I should have a new unbreakable thermometer by thurs or fri.

--- End quote ---
I don't believe such a thing exists.  Where did you get it?

tubercle:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on December 04, 2012, 09:05:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: alcaponejunior on December 04, 2012, 02:57:28 PM ---I should have a new unbreakable thermometer by thurs or fri.

--- End quote ---
I don't believe such a thing exists.  Where did you get it?

--- End quote ---

Better get two.

euge:
Perhaps he means something like a Thermapen which would be so much more difficult to break- though not impossible...

I think one would have to really screw the pooch to do it.

alcaponejunior:
Yes, a reasonably not likely to be broken-able thermometer.  Not like the easily broken glass one I already had, that is now broke.  ::)

Probably a thermapen.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version