Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Day Results  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
Brew Day Results
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:41:12 pm »
Just curious how all your brew days went?!

I'm also needing to vent since my went horribly from a logistical stand point...starting with the LHBS clerk missing my separated milled grains into one bag "for my convenience" and ending with me realizing my wort chiller doesn't fit to my new apartments kitchen spout. The only things that did go right were nailing both beer's OGs.
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Brew Day Results
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:52:28 pm »
My brew day went great. (Friday afternoon) hit all my numbers. Fermentation started fast too, about three hours. Best part, I was done in record time. Start to finish in just about 3 1/2 hours.
  Sorry yours sucked. But hey, you still made beer!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:19:05 pm »
I ran out of propane and had to finish my doppelbock on the stove.  Fortunately it was a small batch (3gal) but I still had to make an insulation wrap for the pot to get it to boil.  Beer seemed to come out fine, mat=ybe the longer boil helped.  Finished at around 1.090.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:29:33 pm »
I ran out of propane and had to finish my doppelbock on the stove.  Fortunately it was a small batch (3gal) but I still had to make an insulation wrap for the pot to get it to boil.  Beer seemed to come out fine, mat=ybe the longer boil helped.  Finished at around 1.090.

I've made that mistake numerous times! I always keep two propane tanks just for that reason.
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:27:42 pm »
+1 to two propane tanks!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 05:52:57 am »
Saturday went very well for me.  I made a Rye IPA and a Winter Warmer and both came out well with no issues. 

I also have 2 LP tanks for that very reason.  I need to get one of my tanks recertified so I can get it refilled refilled when it runs out.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:46 am »
Hey, those aren't "mistakes", they're "innovative processes".

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:12:59 am »
My brew day on Saturday went well too.  Brewed an Am. Brown Ale.  My OG was a few points higher than expected but I finally dialed in my boil off (seems to change with the seasons here...).  Also I repitched yeast I harvested and washed for the second time.  It's comforting when the ferment takes off in a few hours.

Start to finish in just about 3 1/2 hours.
WOW! SWMBO was happy when I was done in 4.5 hours.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:38:38 am by saintsbrew »
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 09:26:01 am »
My brewday was interesting, but went pretty smoothly as brewdays go. I brewed an IIPA with an insane amount of hops. The figures I based the recipe on were mainly WAG's, since I really had no clue how much wort I was going to lose to hops at each stage of the process. It was also my first time batch sparging using my system, and my first time using a MacGyvered hopback made from pantyhose ziptied to both my runoff and siphon tubing.

Everything worked out pretty well. My best-guess calculations were shooting for 1.075 post-boil gravity, and I hit 1.072, which is close enough for me. I left some wiggle-room for my sugar addition, so I can still hit my target OG without going over 10% cane sugar. I ended up netting 2.2 gallons of wort, which is a little lower than I hoped, but still in the ballpark. My brew kettle had about about 1 & 1/2 quarts of thick pea-soupy hop sludge when all was said & done. It was actually pretty awesome.

The best part was when I was heating my sparge water with a couple ounces of whole cone Citra and Amarillo. My kitchen smelled unbelievable. Better smell than any potpurri/candle/air freshener you could ever imagine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »
I need to get one of my tanks recertified so I can get it refilled refilled when it runs out.
I just took my out of date tank to Wal-Mart and traded it out for a full "Blue Rhino" tank.
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.