Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canning/Bottling in mason jars??  (Read 17006 times)

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
Re: Canning/Bottling in mason jars??
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 01:09:47 pm »
I use pint jars for yeast storage. I soak them in iodine solution then scoup the yeast out of my fermenter.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 02:00:34 pm »
I use 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids.  That way I don't have to worry about them bursting, which I've heard stories of with glass.  I simply sanitize them with StarSan.

I'm with Denny on this.  I use 1 liter Rubbermaid beverage containers that have a screw on lid with a spout that has a snap on lid.

I've had some of these build pressure and I wouldn't want a yeast explosion in my fridge if a glass container cracked.  Plus, the beverage containers fit perfectly on the door.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 08:40:58 am »
I use 1/2 gal. plastic containers with snap on lids.  That way I don't have to worry about them bursting, which I've heard stories of with glass.  I simply sanitize them with StarSan.

I'm with Denny on this.  I use 1 liter Rubbermaid beverage containers that have a screw on lid with a spout that has a snap on lid.

I've had some of these build pressure and I wouldn't want a yeast explosion in my fridge if a glass container cracked.  Plus, the beverage containers fit perfectly on the door.

I use mason jars for my stored yeast, but I drilled a hole in the tops, inserted a grommet, and use a small, two-part bubbler to relieve any pressure. May be a "belt & suspenders" approach, but I haven't had any yeast grenades in the frig.