Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Conditioning  (Read 14175 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Bottle Conditioning
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 08:13:00 pm »
Thanks for all the replies . Just a little clarity after the beer is carbonated, what is the optimum temp to hold the beer at before consumption I work in the meat and produce industry and am blessed with all kinda of refrigeration.

I'd say refrigeration is optimum temp for everything except for beers that improve with extended aging. For those beers (Barleywines, dopplebocks, RIS, Baltic Porter, etc.), stable cellar temp is your best bet. Around ~55F is probably the best, but stable temps are generally more important than the temp itself. Better to cellar something at a rock-steady 65F than have temps that swing from 50-70F.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »
i go two weeks in at room temp.  one bottle is usually a 20 oz plastic pepsi bottle.  (they are in the dark),  i can then tell if there is yeast formation in the bottom (usually check at one week as well) and also if the bottle is hard to indicate pressure build up.

Interesting idea.  Is this purely for monitoring?  Or do you drink this bottle too?  I'd be concerned about not having a truly airtight seal.  Are you just screwing the cap on?

Soda bottles are rated up to almost 12 atm, way higher than carbonated beer.  When shipped from the plant the cap is "just screwed on".
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 09:23:57 am »
Conditioning or "ripening" is best done at room temp. Once you have it where you like then refrigeration temps in the 30's will preserve your beer the longest. The brew will change slowly over time, but slower even than if kept in the 50's.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis