General Category > Beer Recipes

Stout Recipe

(1/3) > >>

Nagel Family Brewing:
What does everyone thinks of this recipe?  I was going to use flaked oats but my LHBS does not have any.

5.5 Gallon

10 lbs Two Row
 1 lbs Carapils
 1 lbs Crystal 60
 8 oz Chocolate
 8 oz Roasted Barley

.5 Warrior 60 minutes
.5 Willamette 20 minutes
.5 Willamett 5 minutes

WL001

Is this enough roast?  I don't want over the top (and I know this is far from it).  I have a Porter recipe I love that is exactly the sames except 8 oz of Black Malt instead of the 8 oz of Roasted Barley above.  Not sure what BJCP category this would be without oatmeal but based off my Porter recipe I think I will enjoy drinking it.  I am curious to do this just to see the difference between Black Patent and Black Barley.  I was tempted to add 8 oz each of Chocolate, Black Malt, and Roast Barley but was afraid it would be too roasty for my wife and I's taste bud's.

hokerer:
For your flaked oats you can just head to the grocery store.  Quaker five minutes oats are the same thing.

hokerer:
Oh, and in my oatmeal stout, I find that 8oz of roast barley is just a little bit much for my taste.  I use 6oz and bump my chocolate up to 10oz.

Nagel Family Brewing:

--- Quote from: hokerer on February 18, 2010, 11:48:33 AM ---For your flaked oats you can just head to the grocery store.  Quaker five minutes oats are the same thing.

--- End quote ---

Is there anything extra in the quaker oats?  Preservatives, sugar, etc. 

--- Quote from: hokerer on February 18, 2010, 11:51:59 AM ---Oh, and in my oatmeal stout, I find that 8oz of roast barley is just a little bit much for my taste.  I use 6oz and bump my chocolate up to 10oz.

--- End quote ---

Sounds good.  I will do that.

blatz:

--- Quote from: Ryan N on February 18, 2010, 03:19:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: hokerer on February 18, 2010, 11:48:33 AM ---For your flaked oats you can just head to the grocery store.  Quaker five minutes oats are the same thing.

--- End quote ---

Is there anything extra in the quaker oats?  Preservatives, sugar, etc. 

--- End quote ---

ryan - I would go to a Whole Foods or other similar store and get organic whole rolled oats out of the bulk container and weigh out exactly what you need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version