Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Insurance canceled!  (Read 2987 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Insurance canceled!
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:41:26 pm »
AllState canceled my insurance!

I haven't even bought the house yet!

Apparently the house next to it being burned down is a huge liability, and they refuse to insure my house.

I swear I am calling the city and demanding they sell me the lot for a dollar and give me a demolition permit.

Guess I have to get a refund for my premium and go with a $1000 State Farm homeowner's policy instead.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Insurance canceled!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »
Wha??? Does Allstate think your new home will get ideas from the one next door...  Where's the logic in that??? Sheesh!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »
remember the previous picture that he posted. (I assume this is the house to which you are referring) the homes were adjacent and the one next door looked like it had been blown apart by a meth explosion.  so the logic could be that there is faulty wiring, gas etc.  big assumptions, but hey, this is insurance
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »
This may have been the best thing that's ever happened to you. You should avoid that property at all costs. The universe is trying to help you from making a huge mistake.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »
Not surprising that a unit adjoining a vacant, abandoned and burned out town home would be un-insurable.

The insurance company is telling you something you should listen to about the value of that property and the risks you are taking in that area.

Do not call State Farm.  Call your RE broker and tell them to find you somewhere else to live.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:57:14 pm »
This may have been the best thing that's ever happened to you. You should avoid that property at all costs. The universe is trying to help you from making a huge mistake.

Ya, if I hadn't read the tea leaves I had up to this point I would be walking away.  If you can't insure a dwelling for a reasonable $$ amount there is a reason for that.  I'm not an insurance company shill but their actuary folks have been crunching numbers for 75+ years.  They know things you don't. 

Good luck with it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?