Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Oxygen to Wort  (Read 1623 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Adding Oxygen to Wort
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:29:48 am »
So, I want to get a diffusion stone to add oxygen to my wort.  I'm hoping this will start fermentation quicker and result in a lower final gravity (?).  I have two main questions and if I'm missing anything else, I'd like some pointers.  Here it goes:

1.  Do I need to sanitize the gas line prior to each use?  ( I know I need to sanitize the stone)

2.  How long should I blast the wort with oxygen and is the time going to be gravity specific? (IE, higher gravity, more oxygen?)

I'm looking at taking my brewing to the next level, I feel this is the next step for me.  Water testing and treatment is next.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:32:14 am by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Adding Oxygen to Wort
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:35:43 am »
I never sanitize my O2 tubing - it should be fairly clean anyway, and if you are running it through a 0.5 micron diffusion stone that is going to filter out pretty much everything you would need to worry about.  I don't take the stone off the tubing in between uses either though.

How long to run the O2 depends on the flow rate.  A minute or two is plenty for your beers.  If you have a DO meter or a flow meter then you can be more precise, but I don't think it's really necessary for most people to go to those lengths.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Adding Oxygen to Wort
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:16:59 am »
I have an inline HEPA filter for my O2 line, although I doubt it's really needed with the fine pores on the stone. I just dip the line and stone in Star-San to sanitize the external portion then in the wort it goes.

I don't remember where I learned this from, but I let the O2 run for a minute for most beers. If the gravity is over 1.060 I run it for a second per point (so a 1.090 beer gets 90 seconds). But frankly, unless you can measure dissolved oxygen in your wort, your WAG is as good as mine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer