Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA Help  (Read 3260 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
IPA Help
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:12 am »
Since I've started brewing I have yet to brew an IPA.  I really want to try one for my next batch, but I need some help building the recipe.  I have decided I want to use a Columbus, Summit, Simcoe, Amarillo combination of hops, bittering with Columbus.  Below is the grain bill for a partial mash 5 gal batch with a 3 gallon boil volume.  I am just unsure if I should combine hops at each interval (20, 10, 2, 0 min) or use each one individually.  Here is the grain bill:

1.5 lb Pilsner malt
1.0 lb Munich malt
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.25 lb Crystal 40
0.25 lb 2-Row malt
3.3 lb Pilsner LME
3 lb extra light DME @ 30 min

I really want to have a good balance between malt and hops.  I also think that using an english yeast (S-04) with this recipe will give it a nice character.  Or, should I drop the pils all together or go with US-05?  Anything to know about brewing an IPA?  In the end I'm shooting for something about 55-65 IBU.  This grain bill should put me at 1.068 OG which is where I want to be gravity wise.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: IPA Help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:03:13 am »
Since you are using American hops, IMO you should use US05.  It is cleaner and will let the malt and hops shine through more.  Some people really like S-04, I'm just not a big fan of it.  You could also drop the Pils and just use 2 lbs of two row.
Dan Chisholm

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:21:51 am »
having used both of those yeasts a good bit recently, i'd go with the 05 as well.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:16:02 am »
I'd replace the pils malt and extract with two row and light extract. Or if you want to up the maltiness a bit more you could replace both the Pilsner and 2-row with Maris Otter and/or replace the LME with the new Maris Otter LME from Northern Brewer.

I suggest you go light on the Summit and reserve it for flameout or dry hops. In my experience, it tastes like onion, but smells like tangerines. For your other hops, it's your call whether to separate or blend them. Either way will give you different results, but they'll all be good.

Two other things I don't see mentioned. Make sure you add gypsum, even though this is only a partial mash. It will help you get more of a snappy bitterness that you want in an IPA. I'd also recommend using at least 2 ounces, up to 5 ounces, of dry hops. That will really kick up the hop aroma.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: IPAHelp
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »
I'd try it just the way you listed it first, and make modifications as you see fit for your subsequent batches ...the pilsner malt will definitely add a nice character to the beer...and definitely keep the Munich in there too.   

Over the years I've done IPA with a wide variety of yeasts and you really can't go wrong with either 04 or 05.  Between the two, these days if I'm using dry yeast (however infrequently) my choice would probably be the 04.  It's excellent  with American hops, and also lets some malt come through to balance things.

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
IPA Help
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:29:53 pm »
Sounds like others agree,but I would also stay away from s04...just used it for two am ipas for the same reason and did not have good results despite big healthy pitches and temp control.  Not enough attenuation and a weird flavor.  Build you recipe with the malts first with a big strong neutral yeast like Chico/us05 or PAC man then mess with yeast if u need to once the grains and hops are right.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
IPA Help
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »
.  Between the two, these days if I'm using dry yeast (however infrequently) my choice would probably be the 04.  It's excellent  with American hops, and also lets some malt come through to balance things.

Don't know how I missed this part.  Maybe my starter and split bt two batches with the s04 gaveme the bad results. 
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:15 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  Right now I have eliminated Summit from the equation, and am focusing on 3 hops - columbus, Simcoe, and Amarillo.  I am thinking of staggering columbus/simcoe throughout the boil and using the Amarillo at flameout.  Someone brought up dryhopping - and I definately will do with at least an ounce of each hop. 

As for the yeast - After some further research and searching for topics covering the use of English yeast with american hops - I think i've decided to go with the US-05 instead. 

I currently have three versions of the recipe, one with 2-Row malt, one with maris otter, and one with the pils malt, so we'll see which one I decide on.   
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:59:48 am »
Just to add even more confusion, you could also go with all munich on the grain side. it's got plenty of enzymes to convert itself and the crystal doesn't need conversion. lot's of malty goodness there.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:37 pm »
Here's what I came up with.  This is from memory, but it should get me to the 1.068-1.069 range, 58-60 IBU, and 7-9 SRM on the color scale.  Will ferment with US-05 yeast.  Will also add some gypsum to the mash.

5gal batch
3gal boil

1.5 lb Pilsner malt
1.0 lb Munich malt
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.25 lb Crystal 40
0.25 lb 2-Row

Mash @ 152 for 60 min (1.5 qt/lb) - batch sparge

Extract:
3 lb Dried Malt Extract @ 60 min
3.3 lb Pilsner LME @ 30 min

Hops:
1 oz Columbs @ 60 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 20 min
0.5 oz Columbus @ 10 min
0.5 oz Simcoe @ 2 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 0 min

Dry Hop for 7 days with at least 1oz each of Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo.
Homebrewed since 2010