Author Topic: Multi-step mashing...  (Read 7432 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Multi-step mashing...
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2021, 09:23:16 pm »
So...is anyone still debating the potential benefits of a multi-step mash vs. single step vs. decoction?
As Weyermann gave advice on the multi-step (see post #83), we will continue with that when using Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pils.
Does it add time to the brew day? Yes. Is it painful? No.
I think the malt you’re using benefits from the multi-step mash. I am normally using American standard pale or pale ale base malt. If I were using a malt variety that would benefit from temp steps I imagine my process would adapt for that grain bill.

Also, my HERMS PID controller is not programmable. To make temp change I had to change the temp myself. If I had a programmable PID controller I would be more inclined to consider using steps.  Sounds lazy but the constant interaction was a PITA for little if any benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewmaster
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2021, 12:14:42 am »
So...is anyone still debating the potential benefits of a multi-step mash vs. single step vs. decoction?
As Weyermann gave advice on the multi-step (see post #83), we will continue with that when using Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pils.
I think the malt you’re using benefits from the multi-step mash. I am normally using American standard pale or pale ale base malt. If I were using a malt variety that would benefit from temp steps I imagine my process would adapt for that grain bill.

Also, my HERMS PID controller is not programmable. To make temp change I had to change the temp myself. If I had a programmable PID controller I would be more inclined to consider using steps.  Sounds lazy but the constant interaction was a PITA for little if any benefit.

Doing the temp steps is a manual procedure for us. Requires very close monitoring. It is easy to overshoot if you do not keep your eyes on it!
Brew day for us is a dedicated event. No other items on the schedule...just beer!
Bluebonnet Brewoff 2021 Winner:
Munich Helles - 1st Place
Oktoberfest   - 1st Place
English Porter - 3rd Place

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2021, 02:35:55 pm »

Doing the temp steps is a manual procedure for us. Requires very close monitoring. It is easy to overshoot if you do not keep your eyes on it!
Brew day for us is a dedicated event. No other items on the schedule...just beer!

Yeah, me, too, but I don't see that as a reason to make things more  difficult than they have to be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell