Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsh: Why use a particular hop?  (Read 10971 times)

Offline Jason

• 1st Kit
Re: Kolsh: Why use a particular hop?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 09:48:56 pm »
I find Jarrylo to be a great hop for Kolsch. Just high enough AAU for bittering and a nice noble-ish tone for the late addition.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 12:43:34 pm »
i started using spalt a long time ago as i read altbier used only spalts for when i made an altbier. i found they hit the spot, and i've been using them ever since. i had a good experience with tettnang in a pale lager once. saaz is great.

spalt is very indistinct in a way, really just kind of hides and is mellow but provides good bitterness, not too spicy/herby i find.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2020, 06:35:57 am »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 10:27:45 pm »

:D. The blend aucessfully covered up what I dislike about Fuggles.

What, you don't like the black truffle/sweaty armpit aroma of fuggles? Seriously, I like Styrian Goldings fine, but UK or US-grown fuggles are the literal worst.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 09:48:11 pm »
Lol think I already said here at some point, but yup. I have never had a good experience with fuggles, can't remember if they were UK or US. I won't even risk using them again.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2020, 07:25:51 pm »
I'm about to have the definitive answer about why to use Hallertau: Tomorrow I'm brewing (yet another) APA using 50% Golden Promise, 34% Rye and 16% base malt. This is a recipe I have made many times with many variations (and up to 50% rye with no problems), only this time I'm going to use 100g (3 oz and a bit) of Hallertau for bittering. If there is a significant effect from the phenols I'm sure that it will show up in this brew!

I'll post an update in a couple of weeks when I get it in the glass.

Charlie (has his own sticky!)
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2020, 08:43:38 am »
I'm about to have the definitive answer about why to use Hallertau: Tomorrow I'm brewing (yet another) APA using 50% Golden Promise, 34% Rye and 16% base malt. This is a recipe I have made many times with many variations (and up to 50% rye with no problems), only this time I'm going to use 100g (3 oz and a bit) of Hallertau for bittering. If there is a significant effect from the phenols I'm sure that it will show up in this brew!

I'll post an update in a couple of weeks when I get it in the glass.

Charlie (has his own sticky!)

Check out the seminar on survivables from Yakima Chief virtual harvest, or the Scott Janish interviews we did on The Brew Files.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2020, 04:00:21 pm »
This is an interesting topic and I didn't see it when it was new.  I agree that using a hop at the start of the boil doesn't mean that ALL of its character is gone.  I also make a lot of beers where there is a hop addition at the start of the boil and that's it.  When I do that, I typically use something noble as opposed to Magnum.  Would I be able to tell the difference between the two?  Not sure.  I tend to use Magnum when I know that more hops will be added later... which are usually noble.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Qzm

• 1st Kit
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2020, 06:02:18 am »
Less relevant for a mild beer like kolsh, but I'll note that beta acid content is a consideration for aged beers (while alpha acids are busy degrading out of bittertown, the betas begin to better bitter the brew).

So I think the summary thus far is that hops is more than AA and oils, and a serious brewer should get educated on the other components. And that we all want to know whether the princess noticed the pea :P.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2022, 06:47:23 pm »
I’m with Major on this. I’m late to the party, but I’ll still chime in. Bitter with Magnum and finish with Crystal. I did one bittered with Perle and finished with Spalt that I liked. Generally the bitter can change. I almost always finish with Crystal @ 10min. Always have used Giga021 for my yeast. Guess I’ll have to keep that going since they are no longer.
Jeff B

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2024, 09:51:15 am »
Although it continues to be a work in progress, I use Perle to bitter and Tettenang and Mittlefruh for flavor and aroma in my Kolsch.  I made this beer a couple months ago and it came out quite tasty.  Might not change the hop schedule in this beer but I have used Magnum in other beers and like it because it has a relatively neutral character and high enough AAU's that you don't need much for bittering.  Although I like what Mittlefruh adds to the beer, the idea of using only Hallertauer is a good one.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2024, 06:28:20 am »
I've used the Edelweiss hop blend in my last few kolsch recipes, and it turns out amazing. Lots of nice noble hop notes, and I get a gorgeous floral component in the taste and aroma that meshes well with typical kolsch yeast strains. In fact, I brewed this recipe again yesterday -- 1 oz. early in the boil, 1 oz. late in the boil, to hit ~24 IBU.
Facebook: Farke Brewing