Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pellets or whole for dry hopping?  (Read 14062 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Pellets or whole for dry hopping?
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:45 pm »
I usually toss em in after fermentation is about done, but how much, and how long?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Pellets or whole for dry hopping?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »
Pellets are much easier to work with imo. Especially in carboys. Its hard stuffing leaf hops in.  They also drop out nicely without need for a hopsack.  I toss mine straight into primary for 5-7 days. 3 oz per 5 gallons Id say is the max before things get a little grassy/vegetal.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »
I like pellet hops myself. They settle out pretty nicely :)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »
Just read the thread in dry hopping below...
Answered allot of my questions!
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »
It also depends on the recipe.  The Pliny recipe has dry hops in it from day 5 to day 14.  I toss them in and give the carboy a gentle swirl every other day just to get them back in suspension.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 02:28:04 pm »
I remember reading something from a major brewery (maybe NB?) about how extraction of volatile compounds peaks within 24 hours when dry-hopping. Not sure how applicable that is with homebrew-sized batches, but it makes me wonder if I've been dry-hopping for too many days.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »
I remember reading something from a major brewery (maybe NB?) about how extraction of volatile compounds peaks within 24 hours when dry-hopping. Not sure how applicable that is with homebrew-sized batches, but it makes me wonder if I've been dry-hopping for too many days.

I'm usually never on a charge of dryhops for more than a week.

I'll dry hop at the end of primary and then in the keg. More hops and less contact time isn't exactly efficient, but it provides a more intense hop presence without grassy, dirty, vegetal off flavors (that I can detect, anyway).
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »
I've been experimenting with sulfites to minimize oxidation, especially when dry-hopping. I haven't really decided how useful it is for beer yet. There's nothing I hate more than cardboard hops.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »
I dry hop with whole hops.  I brew my Pale Ales, IPA's in a bucket and add the dry hops in mesh bags weighted with the glass aquarium "rocks."  When I use pellet hops, the float on top and NEVER settle to the bottom.  I'd love to know why pellets settle out for everyone else.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »
I dry hop with whole hops.  I brew my Pale Ales, IPA's in a bucket and add the dry hops in mesh bags weighted with the glass aquarium "rocks."  When I use pellet hops, the float on top and NEVER settle to the bottom.  I'd love to know why pellets settle out for everyone else.

Probably 1/3 of my hop pellets sink, the other 2/3 float on top, if left alone.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 02:51:13 pm »

Probably 1/3 of my hop pellets sink, the other 2/3 float on top, if left alone.

Now, I don't know much about quantum physics but... ( ;) that's for you nateo)

I think it's got something to do with how much air is trapped betwixt the bracts of the whole cones vs the pellets.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »
Now, I don't know much about quantum physics but... ( ;) that's for you nateo)

I think it's got something to do with how much air is trapped betwixt the bracts of the whole cones vs the pellets.

We're all climbing our own "Mount Stupids." I'm still at the bottom of mine re:why some of my hops float and some don't. I know it's something to do with buoyancy, but beyond knowing what "buoyancy" means I've got nothing. I think I can rule out cosmic rays and ether as possible contributing factors, but beyond that I'm clueless.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 02:57:01 pm »
I dry hopped an ESB for 12days with a good outcome, actually not  as floral/aroma as i expected, i also dry an IPA for 16days (simply no time to bottle on both occasions) the IPA turned out well maybe a tad to dank/vegetal but still very drinkable. both times with pellets very easy.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »
I dry hopped an ESB for 12days with a good outcome, actually not  as floral/aroma as i expected, i also dry an IPA for 16days (simply no time to bottle on both occasions) the IPA turned out well maybe a tad to dank/vegetal but still very drinkable. both times with pellets very easy.

What kind of hops did you use? I've let some Willammette go for a long time and wasn't really happy with it, while I let one of the C's (Chinook?) go for a long time and it turned out pretty well. So maybe variety has an effect?

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 05:40:41 pm »

What kind of hops did you use? I've let some Willammette go for a long time and wasn't really happy with it, while I let one of the C's (Chinook?) go for a long time and it turned out pretty well. So maybe variety has an effect?

for the IPA the hops were Amarillo, Citra, Chinook, and Centennial the aroma is great, but heavy grapefruit and dank smell/taste
for the ESB the hops were fuggles and galena

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.