Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Troubleshooting a funky fermentation  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Troubleshooting a funky fermentation
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:38:01 am »
I have something "different" going on in the primary of a SNPA clone recipe. I did an identical batch about 4 days ahead and is doing fine. I repitched the 1056 from that but the head in the fermenter looks like melted ice cream instead of the usual Rocky Krausen i am used to. It's hard to explain the smell, sour, acidic, maybe vinagar? does not smell right. I'm thinking infection but would like some guidance as to specifically what it might be.
I did an AG cooler mash at a festival/ demonstration, and after chilling didnt pitch till the next day. I rinsed the carboy with the low-foam acid rinse a day or so before, and plugged the carboy with a stopper. Could that be the cause?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Troubleshooting a funky fermentation
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:42:31 am »
I don't think you'd have a bacterial infection take off like that in the primary phase. Give it some time? Smells and appearances can be deceiving.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Re: Troubleshooting a funky fermentation
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:34:28 am »
OK, just tasted a sample; definite phenolic (medicine) taste. Completely different than the smell. I will take Euge's advice and RDWHAHB.
 Now 5 days in primary and still chugging along. Gonna rack tomorrow and dry hop. Over 15 years of all grain brewing, I wont cry if I have to dump one. Just would like to know what went wrong. Probably time to reassess my sanitation practice- gotta keep those nasties on the run ya know...
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving