Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alpha-mashing ginger  (Read 5016 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Alpha-mashing ginger
« on: September 27, 2012, 06:11:28 pm »
Anyone mashed ginger root?  Apparently it has a large quantity of alpha-amylase, which will break down the starches in the root into maltose and such.  After mashing, you should be able to sparge and utilize the resulting wort to make a spicy golden ginger ale or an alcoholic ginger beer.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Alpha-mashing ginger
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:29:02 pm »
I didn't mash it, but I did make ginger ale. It turned "meh". I am curious now about mashing it. I've been wanting to make ginger brandy. Seems like it would take a ton to mash it though.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:50:46 pm »
I didn't mash it, but I did make ginger ale. It turned "meh". I am curious now about mashing it. I've been wanting to make ginger brandy. Seems like it would take a ton to mash it though.

The problem is that it's like cider and always finishes dry without intervention. Interesting you should mention ginger brandy. I was considering some old bottles of high test ginger brew to convert over.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:44 pm »
Does it really convert to maltose? If so, maybe a wine yeast may be an option to keep it from fermenting bone dry.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:15 am »
IIRC if you mash corn with malt enzymes it turns to maltose. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Interesting topic about the ginger being mashed. I use a lot of ginger, mostly all at knock out and whirl pool. One  thing I have seemed to notice with ginger is the longer you boil it the "spicier" (IOW hotter) it becomes. I am planning on doing some actual tests on that soon to see how rue it is.

I just brewed a honeyed ginger ale with lemon rind a few weeks ago and it is pretty tasty, though perhaps a little over the top on the ginger.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:48:05 am »
I did an ale where I substituted ginger for all the hop additions, then dry gingered afterwards. Very spicy, very tasty.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:50:05 pm »
How many additions, and how much did you use?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:01:51 am »
IIRC if you mash corn with malt enzymes it turns to maltose. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, barley malt amylase enzymes will favor maltose.
Tom Schmidlin