Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegkits/Tom Hargrave  (Read 11635 times)

txbrewer

Kegkits/Tom Hargrave
« on: February 18, 2010, 01:08:11 pm »
This may already have been covered on this forum, but I believe everyone needs to be aware of this guy.  I ordered from him on 11/4/09, he immediately charged my debit card.  As of today, 2/18/10, I have not received my order, have not received a refund, and have not received an answer to any of my dozens of emails, and dozens of voicemails.  A simple google search of this guy will get pages of forums with pages of people who have been ripped off by this guy.

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-home-brew-business-investigation-021110,0,7790979.story
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:09:54 pm by txbrewer »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kegkits/Tom Hargrave
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:16:25 am »
It's an awesome business model. If you don't mind being a scumbag. Take people's money and give them nothing in return. Mini-madoff
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline brewray

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:48:10 am »
it's good that you used a cc. my problem with them was getting bad reg. 4x. then they gave up and never responded. i contacted my cc co. and after going thru the proper procedures the cc co. refunded my money. funny thing t. hargrave set  up his own message board, just go in there and see many complaints are on his own board. my 2 cents if you do bussiness with this co. they only have a 25 - 33 % chance of getting it right the first time and in a timely manner

txbrewer

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:42:58 am »
Yes, it's amazing that this guy is able to continue to operate.  I don't mean to denigrate the state of Alabama, but come on.  I've filed a complaint with my own state's attorney general's office, who responded that they were investigating.  I filed a complaint with the Alabama attorney general's office - no response at all.  I filed a complaint at the FBI's internet crime site, no response.  I notified the IRS along with several links to people who aren't getting their goods.  I figured they may be interested in how much money this guy was making, since he doesn't seem to actually ship goods,then the money sent to him is essentially all profit.  I filed a complaint with the BBB of Huntsville, and they have responded that they are investigating.  A simple google search should give the state of AL enough evidence to shut this guy down.  He actually brags that he welcomes these complaints, as they only cause people to come to his website more, increasing his rankings with google.   The cajones the guy has is amazing, but I suppose since he doesn't have to worry about any retribution, why not?    If you're going to order from this guy, you may as well send me the money.  I won't be sending you anything in return, but at least I'll tell you up front that I'm not.  I wouldn't be considered a thief under those circumstances....

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:49:10 am »
Didn't that guy used to post on TechTalk all the time?  :o

txbrewer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:46:17 am »
I have send dozens of emails and left dozens of voicemails, and this guy refuses to respond.  However, he apparently trolls forums looking for anything about him and he leaves messages such as this one located at http://www.topix.net/forum/source/whnt/TTFEUBG9Q93FOFLOU/p3#lastPost

Tom Hargrave
Florence, AL
 Reply ยป
|Report Abuse
|Judge it!
Yesterday Yes I am a thief and I took all of your hard earned money and I have laughed all the way to the bank! Please understand I needed your money so I could pick up gay guys and have my way with them. It cost alot of money to hook up with young hot guys! I will keep on ripping you off and laughing behind your back. Please check out my website for more great ways for me to steal from you! I mean more great deals! 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:04:44 am »
I hope that scumbag gets put in jail.  He's a liar, cheater, and a stealer. 
Jesse

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:06 am »
He wasn't an AHA Member shop I hope.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:25:25 am »
I hope that scumbag gets put in jail.  He's a liar, cheater, and a stealer. 

Is he a midnight toaker too? j/k. Bad joke, even worse timing.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:12:21 am »
I have send dozens of emails and left dozens of voicemails, and this guy refuses to respond.  However, he apparently trolls forums looking for anything about him and he leaves messages such as this one located at http://www.topix.net/forum/source/whnt/TTFEUBG9Q93FOFLOU/p3#lastPost

I'm not defending the guy, but Topix lets you enter any name you like and post on their sites. Look at the city on the first post by Tom on the first page and the post you link to. That's entered automatically by the system so it's a better gauge than the name. The Chicago Tribune used to use Topix and what a mess that was.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:54 am »
I'm not defending the guy, but Topix lets you enter any name you like and post on their sites. Look at the city on the first post by Tom on the first page and the post you link to. That's entered automatically by the system so it's a better gauge than the name. The Chicago Tribune used to use Topix and what a mess that was.

Yeah, the quoted post above just screams imposter.  No way is it really that Tom guy no matter how scummy he might be.
Joe

txbrewer

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:33:57 am »
Don't bet that it isn't him.  I of course have no way of knowing, but it goes right along with many of his comments, some of them even on his own message forum.  He tends to like to dare people and antagonize.  If he spent 1/10th of the time he spends on various forums and fulfilled his business obligations, he would be able to keep up.  And for whatever reason, he seems to just continue to be able to keep up his scam.  The state of AL and the city of Huntsville don't seem to be worried about it.  I've made complaints to every agency out there, and the only ones I've heard back from is the Better Business Bureau, (not much authority there) and my own state (Texas) attorney general's office.  Not a word from the AL attorney general's office, not a word from the Huntsville police dept, nothing from the FTC, nothing from the internet crime site and I could go on and on.  This guy is obviously not worried about it, and it seems that he has good reason not to be worried.  One day a lawyer is going to be ripped off by him, then maybe a class action lawsuit will put him out of business, but from my own experience, that's the only thing that will cause him any heartburn.

Sorry for the rant, but I see this guy getting away with this for years and years, it tends to make me very angry.  Of course, the fact that he ripped me off angers me as well, but knowing that more people are being ripped off every day and the authorities are looking the other way really gets to me.  Doesn't say a lot for the state of AL.

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:38:59 am »
Don't bet that it isn't him.
Sorry dude, you have every right to be mad, but that obviously isn't really him.

txbrewer

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 01:28:09 pm »
Upon looking closer, I believe you're right.  It's not him, but it's also not out of character for him.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:26:08 am »
I did a couple of transactions with him before all of this bad stuff started.  The last order was for three manifolds.  I got the package promptly, but with only one manifold in it.  That's always a tough spot for the consumer, because once you've opened it you have no proof.  I sent several e-mails to Tom with no response.  I finally found his phone number and called him.  He took my word for it and sent the two manifolds promptly, saying that the packing guys were always screwing up.

Based on what I've read online since then, I was very lucky.  He wasn't such a bad guy at one time, just a terrible businessman.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS