Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegkits/Tom Hargrave  (Read 11636 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Kegkits/Tom Hargrave
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 11:12:54 am »
Why don't you guys just hire an attorney and file a civil suite - a class action on behalf of everyone who has been ripped off?

You could probably find someone to take it on contingency, especially in this economy.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

txbrewer

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 07:16:01 am »
I did a couple of transactions with him before all of this bad stuff started.  The last order was for three manifolds.  I got the package promptly, but with only one manifold in it.  That's always a tough spot for the consumer, because once you've opened it you have no proof.  I sent several e-mails to Tom with no response.  I finally found his phone number and called him.  He took my word for it and sent the two manifolds promptly, saying that the packing guys were always screwing up.

Based on what I've read online since then, I was very lucky.  He wasn't such a bad guy at one time, just a terrible businessman.
[/quote

No disrespect to you here meant, but a thief is a thief.  An opportunity presented itself and he took advantage of it.  If he was truly a decent person, he would've stopped accepting orders when he got so far behind as he states.  Instead he simply let the orders keep coming, all the while he knew he couldn't fulfill the orders.  And from what I'm seeing on many, many forums out there, he continues with the scam.  All the while, the state of AL allows it, no one will close his website down.  I didn't lose that much money really, about $50.  But there are people out there that have lost hundreds to him.  I just don't understand how he can continue with the scam.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 07:47:28 am »
I actually know Tom and I have bought a bunch of stuff from him in person since, for a long time, he used to be my LHBS. I always found him easy to deal with in person and he has given me really good deals on stuff in the past, replaced damaged items with no questions and has given me a ton of free yeast over the years. It sucks to see some of you have gotten ripped off.

Anyway, a friend of mine recently did some business with him and questioned him about these issues and he said he was in the process of trying to make things right. My guess is he got himself in some kind of financial trouble and simply couldn't make right for whatever reason. He doesn't strike me as a thief, to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. I would be just as mad as you guys are if it had happened to me. I just wanted to put another perspective out there. Hopefully he will make it right in the next few weeks.

I totally agree with the other sentiment - he is obviously a terrible business man.

txbrewer

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 08:08:59 am »
No disrespect meant for you majorvices, but I'll allude to my previous post.  If he were truly a decent person and not a thief, he would've stopped accepting orders when he was unable to fill those orders.  Instead, he took our money knowing full well that he was not going fill them.  I will also point our his arrogant and spiteful replies in many forums where he brags about the fact that all these complaints actually cause his Google search ranking to go up, therefore driving more unsuspecting victims to his website.  If he would reply to just one of my emails or one of my voicemails I would appreciate it.  However, he refuses to do so and for that reason and others, I simply don't buy the line that he "is trying to make things right".  Do a Google search on kegkits.  You'll find that he's been saying that for years.  You'll find that he has also been continually stealing people's money during that same time.  He has always got an excuse, but never seems to be interested in actually doing anything to "make things right".

txbrewer

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 12:02:21 pm »
A quick update to this.  Even though several people seem to want to believe that this guy is a pretty good guy and is trying to set things right, I just received a notice from the Better Business Bureau of north AL telling me that he has not replied to mthe complaint I filed with them.  They have sent him a second notice.  This doesn't seem to be a man who is trying "to set things right". 

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »
Reminds me of the Keg King

Offline stownson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 03:03:56 pm »
This s***ehead burned me for $75 but I havn't and won't file a complaint.  I will just deal with it if our paths ever cross.  I don't suppose there's a chance he'll show up at the NHC as a vendor is there?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:05:33 pm by stownson »

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »
This s***ehead burned me for $75 but I havn't and won't file a complaint.  I will just deal with it if our paths ever cross.  I don't suppose there's a chance he'll show up at the NHC as a vendor is there?

Consumers do have some protections and you should utilize them. You need to contact your credit card company and have them do a "chargeback". After a certain number of these, they can fine him or revoke his ability to accept credit cards.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

txbrewer

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 07:48:31 am »

Believe me, I completely understand your feelings, but it isn't worth it.  You will end up in jail, and possibly being sued in civil court, meanwhile this a$$clown will continue stealing from unsuspecting victims.  T

Make a complaint with the north Alabama Better Business Bureau.  The BBB seems to be putting pressure on the city, it's a shame that both the city and state allow this type of scam to go on without any actions.  Alabama doesn't have a very good name to begin with, and things like this just add to their reputation. 

brewboy

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 08:42:08 am »
I placed an order with him last week and my stuff is already here. Hard to complain about that service.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:55 am »

Believe me, I completely understand your feelings, but it isn't worth it.  You will end up in jail, and possibly being sued in civil court, meanwhile this a$$clown will continue stealing from unsuspecting victims.  T

Make a complaint with the north Alabama Better Business Bureau.  The BBB seems to be putting pressure on the city, it's a shame that both the city and state allow this type of scam to go on without any actions.  Alabama doesn't have a very good name to begin with, and things like this just add to their reputation. 

So what exactly is the BBB doing and what type of "pressure" are they putting on the city?

txbrewer

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 08:54:09 am »
I placed an order with him last week and my stuff is already here. Hard to complain about that service.

You can consider yourself extremely lucky.  Google kegkits and look at the long list of forum after forum of complaints. 

txbrewer

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 08:55:35 am »
[

So what exactly is the BBB doing and what type of "pressure" are they putting on the city?
[/quote]

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-home-brew-business-investigation-021110,0,7790979.story

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx

txbrewer

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 09:44:21 am »

Sorry, but I'm not seeing any action there.
[/quote]

Ok, go ahead and do whatever you feel you need to do.  Just a little friendly advice, carry on....