Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: where to buy a vinegar mother?  (Read 11217 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
where to buy a vinegar mother?
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:36:58 pm »
Not sure where to post this topic, but I wanted to make some vinegar from some wine we are currently are making. i want purchase it vs making it.

*I live in the Denver Metro area if anybody knows of stores in the area or online works too.

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: where to buy a vinegar mother?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:42:22 pm »
You should be able to find this product just about anywhere...

http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:47:54 pm »
cool thanks, so if bought this product or similar product with a mother all i would need to do is dump/use the liquid and the place the mother in a growler with the wine?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 01:45:05 am »
Yes, that is what i did.  I bought a jar of unpasteurized red wine vinegar and added it to a container with some red wine.  It soured nicely.  Make sure you allow some oxygen in, it is required for the reaction.  Cover it with some cheese cloth or something to keep the bugs out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 03:50:17 am »
I bought my Mother at the Grape and Granary (www.grapeandgranary.com) in Toledo.  The sell homebrew and wine supplies.  They have a good selection and service.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison