Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Big Burner  (Read 15625 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Best Big Burner
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:15 am »
I've got a Blichmann burner, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. It's built like a brick sh!thouse, gets the wort to a boil fast and seems efficient.

+1 and QUIET!!! Plus, you can't beat the customer service.  Generally, John replys himself!

Yep. That Blichmann stuff is AWESOME and always worth the investment. John is a great guy - AND a Boilermaker!
John said he went to Iowa State.

Haha - guess I thought that since he was located in West Lafayette! Oops!

Recommendation still holds true!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:41 am »
John is a great guy - AND a Boilermaker!

Got to meet him a couple weeks ago at the Bell's Expo. Super nice, answered all my questions and BS'ed about beer for a few minutes. He also donated a burner, hoprocket and a beergun for the raffle. Of course, the guy who's ticket got pulled ahead of mine snagged the hoprocket.  :'(
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
I went to Iowa State for Grad School. Wonder if there's a Cyclones discount.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 08:28:19 am »
I've been checking out this one.  But of course, they won't ship to Canada >:(
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/619alp-32-jet-propane-gas-jet-burner.htm

I don't think I would risk the money on one of these. From the site you pointed to:

PLEASE READ:  We know that these burners are hard to find, and when you do find them they are anywhere from $100.00 - $500.00.  We found these burners and brought them in because we have had so many customers request them.  HOWEVER, please note that these are NOT Bayou Classic burners.  They are bought directly from China.  We do not have the human resources to hook up and try each burner before shipping.  The result is the cheaper price.  STARTING 07/27/11, WE WILL NOT ACCEPT RETURNS ON THESE BURNERS OR ISSUE CREDITS.  They are shipped AS IS.  Each burner will be individually wrapped prior to shipping.  Please have some type of knowledge about these burners prior to purchase.  If you have experience with them, they are worth the price.  If you do not have experience with building outdoor burners, then please stick with our PROPANE CAST IRON BURNERS.  Thank you for your understanding

Right now they are on sale for $62. That is a lot of money to spend on something untested and nonrefundable.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:28 am »
I've got a Blichmann burner, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. It's built like a brick sh!thouse, gets the wort to a boil fast and seems efficient.

+1 and QUIET!!! Plus, you can't beat the customer service.  Generally, John replys himself!

Yep. That Blichmann stuff is AWESOME and always worth the investment. John is a great guy - AND a Boilermaker!
John said he went to Iowa State.

Haha - guess I thought that since he was located in West Lafayette! Oops!

Recommendation still holds true!
He shop is in Lafayette. He worked at the Caterpiller plant on 26.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »
Look for something 100,000+ BTUs and you'll be good to go.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 07:13:36 pm »
luuuuuuuuuuuuurve my Blichmann Top Tier.  When I win the lotto, I'm going to get a few more and the stand.  I haven't run any tests, but it is an extremely propane-efficient burner from what I've read. 

For my puny five gallon batches, I can take an 8 gallon brewkettle from mash/runoff temp to boiling in about 10-15 minutes. 

Also, FWIW, my group Baltibrew did a 2 BBL brew split between 2 kettles/burners, and it got those up relatively quickly on full blast as well.   

We need pics when this is done. 

Love me some brewin' p0rn!
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:46 pm »

I don't think I would risk the money on one of these. From the site you pointed to:

PLEASE READ:  We know that these burners are hard to find, and when you do find them they are anywhere from $100.00 - $500.00.  We found these burners and brought them in because we have had so many customers request them.  HOWEVER, please note that these are NOT Bayou Classic burners.  They are bought directly from China.  We do not have the human resources to hook up and try each burner before shipping.  The result is the cheaper price.  STARTING 07/27/11, WE WILL NOT ACCEPT RETURNS ON THESE BURNERS OR ISSUE CREDITS.  They are shipped AS IS.  Each burner will be individually wrapped prior to shipping.  Please have some type of knowledge about these burners prior to purchase.  If you have experience with them, they are worth the price.  If you do not have experience with building outdoor burners, then please stick with our PROPANE CAST IRON BURNERS.  Thank you for your understanding

Right now they are on sale for $62. That is a lot of money to spend on something untested and nonrefundable.

But what's life without a little risk??? ;)
I have a friend who's a machinist and another who's a gas fitter so I'm sort of willing to take the risk since I can get anything made that I need to fix a minor issue with the burner but I do know I'm in a unique situation and I wouldn't risk it either without some back up.
From what I've found the Blichmann ones look nice but they're crazy expensive (close to $200 for the floor standing burner).

I'll post pictures for sure, just two more weeks until I get possession of the new house.  Gonna take a while to get things going but eventually things will get going.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Best Big Burner
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 05:44:11 am »

But what's life without a little risk??? ;)
I have a friend who's a machinist and another who's a gas fitter so I'm sort of willing to take the risk since I can get anything made that I need to fix a minor issue with the burner but I do know I'm in a unique situation and I wouldn't risk it either without some back up.
From what I've found the Blichmann ones look nice but they're crazy expensive (close to $200 for the floor standing burner).

I'll post pictures for sure, just two more weeks until I get possession of the new house.  Gonna take a while to get things going but eventually things will get going.

Top tier = 72k btu
Bayou=50-55k btu

Pretty and handy around the house :-)
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles