Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Last three batches terrible  (Read 22615 times)

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
Last three batches terrible
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:37:30 pm »
Been brewing for a couple years now,  all grain. Last three batches have had this off flavor I can't really explain. Its almost like an alcoholic flavor but also taste like metal. Beer is fermenting in a fermentation chamber I control all the temps etc....esb, Belgian pale, and rye saison...they all have the same off flavor. Im about to give up I have no idea whats causing this flavor. Any suggestions?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Last three batches terrible
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »
Do you do anything to dechlorinate your water?  I know Eugene spikes the chlorine levels (they may even use chloramine) at times.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:05:12 pm »
I filter all my water. Using the ones that connect to your faucet and run through the filter and out the other side

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:07:35 pm »
I filter all my water. Using the ones that connect to your faucet and run through the filter and out the other side

Does it remove chlorine?  I understand that you need to run the water very slowly to do that.  Want me to taste some for you?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:16:50 pm »
I just tasted the water after filtering it...taste perfect no taste what so ever. If I don't filter it I can taste chlorine. I also tested two thermometers side by side like we talked about and they are +-1 degree so therms are accurate

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »
I just tasted the water after filtering it...taste perfect no taste what so ever. If I don't filter it I can taste chlorine. I also tested two thermometers side by side like we talked about and they are +-1 degree so therms are accurate

Damn....you're not making this easy!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »
Seriously. I know. Is there any way that opening the carboy too many times can do this. I run gravity reading a couple times around weeks 3-4

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »
Seriously. I know. Is there any way that opening the carboy too many times can do this. I run gravity reading a couple times around weeks 3-4

I do the same, although with a bucket, and it's never been a problem.  If you can get some to me, I'd be happy to tell you what I detect.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »
Ok ill let you know. I have no beer to taste its all in carboys but we'll be in touch

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:12:41 pm »
could it be too much iron in the water? I have no idea if those filters take out iron.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 04:23:12 pm »
The water taste totally fine

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »

Could your municipality have switched from chlorine to chloramine?  Most of them seem to be going that route and, while you can't taste the difference, chloramines are much harder to get rid of with just filtering.
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 07:14:49 pm »
I had a rash of metallic notes a few years back and located their source to a post ferment use of copper tubing. Any recent changes to your equipment, method whatnot...?

I've also had hops throw metallic flavors.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 07:15:59 pm »
No change in equipment

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Last three batches terrible
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 07:22:08 pm »
Even if the water tastes fine to you, it could still have chlorine in it. It may not be as simple as what the water tastes like before you brew. Chlorine or chloramines may not be at taste threshold - but the yeast react to them chemically and produce phenols.

It may have nothing to do with chlorine/chloramines but I would base it on a chlorine test, not you taste of the water.