Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Last three batches terrible  (Read 22647 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Last three batches terrible
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »
I had a rash of metallic notes a few years back and located their source to a post ferment use of copper tubing. Any recent changes to your equipment, method whatnot...?

I've also had hops throw metallic flavors.
I had to stop using willamette hops because of perceived metallic flavors, both by me and by judges in competitions.  It seems unlikely that you would have used the same hop variety in these three styles, but it is worth mentioning.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:47 pm »
We will see I guess ...I dont think its hops. Used all different. Water checks out ok. Im just going to try and brew my way through it

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 04:34:58 am »
Not sure what kind of equipment that you use, but do you tear down everything and clean after each batch? I have Blichmann 3 piece ball valves and you'd be surprised what can find it's way in there but thankful that I can easily take it apart to clean and inspect before the next batch.   
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 09:44:12 am »
You could always do your next batch with RO or distilled water and see if you get the same thing.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 10:11:23 am »
My wife typically brews with me and cleans along my side. Stuff is typically very clean

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 11:35:46 am »
You could always do your next batch with RO or distilled water and see if you get the same thing.
I would suggest trying this. Adjust the water with gypsum and calcium chloride and see if the same flavors show up.
Jesse

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 12:03:05 pm »
My wife typically brews with me and cleans along my side. Stuff is typically very clean
I got to convince my wife to do that.
When was the last time you changed your tubing?  I had a metallic issue a while back and after a strong cleaning of my carboys and kettles and replacing worn pieces of tubing and plastic equipment it went away.  Just a thought... :-\
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 12:07:46 pm »
I got to convince my wife to do that.
When was the last time you changed your tubing?  I had a metallic issue a while back and after a strong cleaning of my carboys and kettles and replacing worn pieces of tubing and plastic equipment it went away.  Just a thought... :-\

I have gotten a metallic taste off my tap lines when I've let them go too long.  It might be worth a shot.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 12:08:24 pm »
Tubing is fine
 Replace it very often. I think its just a problem that could be a 100 different things. Everyone says hops, water, tubing, ball valves, chlorine...honestly its probably a combination of all of that. I can't pinpoint it. Its really frustrating because this could take 20 batches to fix...all of a sudden the beer hasn't been the same. Can't figure it out. My procedures and cleanliless is spot on.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »
Tubing is fine
 Replace it very often. I think its just a problem that could be a 100 different things. Everyone says hops, water, tubing, ball valves, chlorine...honestly its probably a combination of all of that. I can't pinpoint it. Its really frustrating because this could take 20 batches to fix...all of a sudden the beer hasn't been the same. Can't figure it out. My procedures and cleanliless is spot on.

Get some to me.  Tasting it might provide a lot of info.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 12:31:58 pm »
Can't figure it out. My procedures and cleanliless is spot on.

If that were truly the case then you wouldn't be having issues.  Its not 100 different things if its happened to three different brews that are three different styles.

Could be a pH issue associated with a change in your water supply, causing some tannic flavors to leach out of the husks.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 12:36:07 pm »
I just pulled a sample from the carboy. Wife and I agreed. Its an ethanol type flavor. Used Belgian ardennes yeast and fermented at 69 degrees. So im assuming those alcoholic flavors shouldn't be present. All note that the beer is about 4 weeks old. 1.060 og. 1.014 right now. That gravity hast budged since week 2.

Someone mentioned to me that it could be from an auto siphon. I don't think that's it because I tasted this before I ever racked it.

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 12:38:57 pm »
Could it be my starter fermented too warm?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 01:10:44 pm »
Could it be my starter fermented too warm?

Unlikely.  I hope you're decanting your starters.  Using 3522 that warm could definitely give you the fusel type of flavors you describe.  I use it quite a bit and keep it in the low 60s for at least the first few days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »
I decant