Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Last three batches terrible  (Read 22613 times)

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Last three batches terrible
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »
Ok so news for you all that helped me. I made a mini batch breakfast stout a couple weeks ago and I tasted it and none of that weird flavor we all talked about. Super thankful. I didn't use the water filter either...thinking maybe that's the culprit. My only concern is thay my OF was supposed to be 10.60 and I got crazy efficiency and over shot to 1.072.

Little high right? Well it was supposed to finish at 1.023 and im at 1.032....any suggestions?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:05 pm »
Ok so news for you all that helped me. I made a mini batch breakfast stout a couple weeks ago and I tasted it and none of that weird flavor we all talked about. Super thankful. I didn't use the water filter either...thinking maybe that's the culprit. My only concern is thay my OF was supposed to be 10.60 and I got crazy efficiency and over shot to 1.072.

Little high right? Well it was supposed to finish at 1.023 and im at 1.032....any suggestions?

recipe details?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 02:03:51 pm »
Pale, crystal, black patent and chocolate malt

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:11 pm »
Pale, crystal, black patent and chocolate malt

mash temps, pH, yeast? There are so many things that can affect terminal gravity or apparent terminal gravity that it's hard to even take a guess at what happened without that detail.

How much crystal? if there was a couple lb in a one gallon batch that would make a difference. If you used champaign yeast that might explain it. mashed at 165*?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42:33 pm »
I don't know ph...I posted a water report above. ^

Mashed at 152

Beer was supposed to finish at 1.024. I finished high because I think I started high. Crystal was restrained
 Like 1lb or something

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:45 am »

Mashed at 152

Beer was supposed to finish at 1.024. I finished high because I think I started high. Crystal was restrained
 Like 1lb or something

how mini was the mini batch? 1 lb crystal in a 1 gallon batch is a bit much and might account for the high FG. you could take a samples worth out of the full batch, pitch a ton of bread yeast into it and see if it goes any lower. then at least you would know if the wort was at a true terminal or the yeast stalled out.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:31 am »

What sort of water filter did you use? I had a zero-water filter go bad on me and the water started smelling fishy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Re: Last three batches terrible
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:50 am »

Mashed at 152

Like 1lb or something

how mini was the mini batch? 1 lb crystal in a 1 gallon batch is a bit much and might account for the high FG. you could take a samples worth out of the full batch, pitch a ton of bread yeast into it and see if it goes any lower. then at least you would know if the wort was at a true terminal or the yeast stalled out.

It was only .30lbs sorry. The added lactose could be a reason too I believe

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Re: Last three batches terrible
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:01 am »

What sort of water filter did you use? I had a zero-water filter go bad on me and the water started smelling fishy.

No clue

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2012, 03:42:50 pm »
The beer actually taste excellent. Im thinking its been my water filter that's fudging my beer. But this sweet stout/breakfast stout meets my standards and im a total snob

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:53 pm »
Ok a week in the keg and the beer is disgusting again. Taste like penny's or something...just terrible and not drinkable.  Didn't seem to have any problems prior to kegging. Maybe I should toss my kegs and get new kegging equipment ...this is stressing me out. So much $ wasted on last 4 batches and this off flavor is taking over ..

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »
Ben, get me some to taste for you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:08 pm »
Ok a week in the keg and the beer is disgusting again. Taste like penny's or something...just terrible and not drinkable.  Didn't seem to have any problems prior to kegging. Maybe I should toss my kegs and get new kegging equipment ...this is stressing me out. So much $ wasted on last 4 batches and this off flavor is taking over ..

I think you should toss them. Let me PM you an address that you can ship them to for proper disposal   ;D

It might be your kegs but unless they are made of copper it's one of the soft bits, o-rings leap to mind (Cause they are really the only soft bits.)

Maybe brew a 2 gallon batch, keg half and bottle half? some infections take a while to get going enough to affect the taste. If the bottles and the keg start tasting nasty at the same time it's an infection prior to packaging.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »
K ill put some in a growler soon. We'll figure a time to meet up and make the exchange

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2012, 12:31:39 pm »
Tasted fine when I took a theif of it. I kegged in a 3 days later the off flavor kicked in