Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash pH and water adjustments  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Mash pH and water adjustments
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:52:56 am »
I have an ESB recipe. Using Bru'n water to calculate the Ca additions and Cl:SO ratio I want, I get a mash pH of 5.4.
When I toggle between the Adjusted water and the Existing water on tab 4, line 24 I get a mash pH of 5.4 on the existing water.

Am I correct that as i have an acceptable pH with no mash adjustments, I can add all my salts (both mash and sparge) straight to the kettle, then just go ahead and acidify my sparge water as necessary? I do need the water additions as my water has very low mineral content.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash pH and water adjustments
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:23 am »
Sounds right to me.  I do basically the same thing in my IPAs.  The pH is fine without mash adjustments, so I add minerals to the kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:45 pm »
I have an ESB recipe. Using Bru'n water to calculate the Ca additions and Cl:SO ratio I want, I get a mash pH of 5.4.
When I toggle between the Adjusted water and the Existing water on tab 4, line 24 I get a mash pH of 5.4 on the existing water.

Am I correct that as i have an acceptable pH with no mash adjustments, I can add all my salts (both mash and sparge) straight to the kettle, then just go ahead and acidify my sparge water as necessary? I do need the water additions as my water has very low mineral content.

Yep!  That is one of the reasons I put that toggle capability in there.  Your tap water must be suited to that grist.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline PeckerWood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:14:04 pm »
The easiest way I can think of getting the best brewing water is I bought the Pacific Sands Garden Hose Filter hooked up to a drinking water hose.  I also add the 5.2 ph Stabilizer to my mash along with a pinch of gypsum.  This takes all the guesswork out of what my water report says.  I always get great results and around 85% efficiency.
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer."
~Henry Lawson