Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best size boil kettle for 10 gallon batches  (Read 27898 times)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Best size boil kettle for 10 gallon batches
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:31 am »
Add some hops before the boil to avoid a boilover.  That is a good tip from Greg Noonan's Brewing Lager Beer. 

Has that worked for you?  I've FWH dozens, maybe hundreds, of batches and I've never seen it prevent a boilover.
Are you saying it always boils over when you FWH? ;)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 10:01:24 am »
Add some hops before the boil to avoid a boilover.  That is a good tip from Greg Noonan's Brewing Lager Beer. 

Has that worked for you?  I've FWH dozens, maybe hundreds, of batches and I've never seen it prevent a boilover.

Guess it kinda sounded like that, huh?  :)  What I was trying to say is that it doesn't seem to prevent boilovers any more than controlling the flame does.  If I didn't take other steps, I'd have boilovers, even with hops in 7 gal. of wort in a 15 gal. kettle.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 10:10:01 am »

I noticed that the wort is less prone to boil over when hops are added before the boil starts. It doesn't prevent boil-overs, but it my experience it makes it easier to control them.

Kai

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:13 am »

I noticed that the wort is less prone to boil over when hops are added before the boil starts. It doesn't prevent boil-overs, but it my experience it makes it easier to control them.

Kai

What he said

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 10:25:30 am »

What he said

yep. I should read posts more carefully before I post.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40:05 am »
I use a 15gal kettle for 10 gallon batches and have to use a spray bottle to keep the hot break from boiling over more often than not, but it does work. A 20gal kettle would be a better choice, but I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon.  A little spray bottle action does the trick for me.
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Best size boil kettle for 10 gallon batches
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 02:01:03 pm »
Wow. You guys must all cook bacon on high, too. ;) No need to have the flame up so high that you need a 20 gallon klettle for a 10 gallon batch. The spray bottle is a good suggestion, though.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 02:11:58 pm »
+1 to the spray bottle.....
Dave Zach

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 02:34:22 pm »
I'm with Keith here, I've got a keggle that I do 10 gallons in all of the time.  I rarely have a boil over, and if I do it is because I am not paying attention.  Fiddle with the burner, use a little fermcap maybe (although not so much lately) and it's really no problem.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 02:35:53 pm »
+1, I've got a 50 liter kettle and unles I am doing a wheat beer (and I have almost had a boil over with 5 gallon batches of wheat beer, gotta keep your mind focused) I can do a 10 gallon batch without much problem. still have to pay close attention as the hot break happens but with a little stirring or a spritzer bottle and some flame control it's all good.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jlo

• Cellarman
Best size boil kettle for 10 gallon batches
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »
You can still get boil overs with 10 gallon batches in a 20 gallon pot, even with 10 gallon batches.

I have had success with boiling 18+ gallons in a 20 gallon boilermaker using Fermcap-S.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 03:17:36 pm »
I'm with Keith here, I've got a keggle that I do 10 gallons in all of the time.  I rarely have a boil over, and if I do it is because I am not paying attention.  Fiddle with the burner, use a little fermcap maybe (although not so much lately) and it's really no problem.

Same here. Don't turn your back on it until it is under control.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 03:52:40 pm »

I have had success with boiling 18+ gallons in a 20 gallon boilermaker using Fermcap-S.

Fermcap rocks!  In the boil and the fermenter!  No boil overs or blowouts.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 05:17:05 am »
What was the saying...a watched pot never boils and an unwatched pot always boils over.... Oddly, I have a dial thermometer on my keggle pot, so as it approaches a boil I stay attentive to it, often stirring it into the boil stage and that solved my boil over issues (except on those busy double batch days when I have too many things going on at once)!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:18:52 am by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline PeckerWood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
I started out with the Blichmann Boilermaker 15 gallon kettle for 5 and 10 gallon batches and got great use out of it.  You just have to be very careful during the hot break.  I now use that as my HLT after upgrading my system to a 3 tier brewstand.  My new boil kettle is a 20 Gallon Blichmann Boilermaker, and all I can say is...IT IS GREAT! No chance of a boilover! So I don't have to be so careful with turning down the flame during the hot break.  Plus, it's only a few dollars more than the 15 gallon kettle.  Blichmann is a bit pricey, but the way I look at it is: I'm going to be doing this for a very long time so I want something that lasts, it has every feature needed like a brewmometer, dip tube, sanitary ball valve, sight glass, lid easily hangs from the handles, can add a false bottom if later in life you want to have a larger heated mash tun,  it's made of a great quality stainless steel, PLUS it looks bad-ass in my brewery.
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer."
~Henry Lawson