Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Potato beer  (Read 3564 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Potato beer
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:42:50 am »
Anyone make that potato beer that is running on the AHA homepage right now?  I took a look at it and it looked interesting but I'm wondering if anyone has done it.  Since the potatoes aren't cooked I assume the starch gelatinizes OK with the hot water?  Is this a sparging nightmare?  Seems like it should be.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Potato beer
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:56:50 am »
I'd probably do a regular cereal mash first. I don't think I'd trust just throwing raw potatoes into my mash. It does sound like something I'll have to try, though.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:45 pm »
My first thought was "sounds like vodka". 

I have heard of people using "potato buds" type products rather than raw potatoes.  The same idea as flaked wheat.

I think you would have to precook the raw potatoes to get much out of them.  I don't see mash temps being able to do it alone.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:56:54 pm »
You'll need to "mash" the potatoes first before mashing.  Make mashed potatoes first to gelatinize and make the potato starch accessible and then do a normal mash.  I would use white potatoes over red potatoes b/c red contains more amylopectin, IIRC.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »
I wondered what kind of potato would work best. I was thinking Yukon Gold, but that's not based on anything but my gut feeling.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:40:48 pm »
I wondered what kind of potato would work best. I was thinking Yukon Gold, but that's not based on anything but my gut feeling.

I would think you would want a starchier potato. s good ol' russet burbank maybe. does make one think though, what about a purple potato.
when you boil those the water turns green, st. paddies day beer?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:43:10 pm »

I would think you would want a starchier potato. s good ol' russet burbank maybe. does make one think though, what about a purple potato.
when you boil those the water turns green, st. paddies day beer?
Morts right. Yukon Golds are waxy potatos that have a higher water content and less starch than mealy potatos such as the Russet. That's why russets make way better French fries. Purples fall into the mealy category.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 03:08:29 pm »
Make mashed potatoes first
I would not want to put my mashed potatoes in beer.  Leave out the butter, cream, garlic, etc. ;)
Tom Schmidlin