Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout  (Read 11372 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:29 am »
Hey all,

Just starting to work out a christmas stout, havn't even entered the recipe in beersmith yet so everything is pretty rough at this point. I am working under one major restriction in that I want to use only organic ingredients so here goes sub first draft:

Tipsy Santa Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout (I was going to make it a milk stout but apparently organic lactose does not exist)

For 20 liters

12 lbs Munich Malt (10L)
1 lbs C120
1 lbs roasted barley
1 lbs chocolate malt
3 lbs rolled oats (toasted)
1 lbs molasses at end of boil

2 lbs raisins caramelized in a HOT pan, deglazed with a little beer and added to primary after bulk of fermentation is over (per Denny's suggestion)

Bravo hops FWH to get ~20-25 IBU
Goldings at 30 minutes and 15 minutes (is this a good idea?)

dried Ginger, Ceylon Cinnamon (true cinnemon) tincture to taste at kegging.

so I wanted to use Lactose but not available organically
I wanted to use some biscuit malt and some special B as well but again, not available organically.

I am not totally sure of the spices. I think the cinnamon will be really nice, not totally sure about the ginger though. I know there has been discussion about raw spice tincture vs adding spices to the boil for a more cooked spice flavour and I thought I might try toasting the spices before soaking them in vodka

I am also considering adding some cocoa nibs but I don't want to overdo the ingredients. I do know that my idea of a perfect oatmeal cookie has both raisins and chocolate chips though.

Alright have at.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:24:45 am »
nothing to add other than very interesting beer - I really want to hear how it turns out.

Are you at all concerned about the DP of your grist?  Seems like you will need to mash longer to convert the starch in the oats.  I've done some all Munich grists before and I felt that at least 90min if not 120 is best.  YMMV.

Please update when its tapped.

Cheers!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:22 am »
Cocoa in an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie? Heathen!

Here's my Oatmeal Raisin Cookie beer that I did earlier this year and it was awesome.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Celebration Ale. I used a cinnamon tincture and boiled the ginger.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:23:02 am »
nothing to add other than very interesting beer - I really want to hear how it turns out.

Are you at all concerned about the DP of your grist?  Seems like you will need to mash longer to convert the starch in the oats.  I've done some all Munich grists before and I felt that at least 90min if not 120 is best.  YMMV.

Please update when its tapped.

Cheers!

Yeah I thought about the DP issue. I have done all munich brews before with a long mash and it worked but there weren't any adjuncts in that brew. I might swap out a couple lb of munich for 2 row just to be safe on that front.

Cocoa in an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie? Heathen!

Here's my Oatmeal Raisin Cookie beer that I did earlier this year and it was awesome.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Celebration Ale. I used a cinnamon tincture and boiled the ginger.

I AM a Heathen in the best sense of the word. also a pagan and a devout hedonist. I will probably leave the cocoa out for this first try anyway though.

Recipe looks good. I like the MO idea hence the Munich. Did you use ceylon cinnamon or cassia for the tincture? Ceylon is a lot milder, not as hot but, I think, with better flavour that the cassia. might need to experiment with that part.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:57 am »
Looks promising.  I'm also intersted in your results.  I'll stay tuned.  I think the molasses might help balance this one out.  Sounds tasty.  I also think a longer mash on the thinner side might be in order here.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:48:13 am »
Looks promising.  I'm also intersted in your results.  I'll stay tuned.  I think the molasses might help balance this one out.  Sounds tasty.  I also think a longer mash on the thinner side might be in order here.

Mash wise I am thinking ~155ish for 90 minutes. I have been doing no-sparge of late just cause of laziness, that way I can treat all my water as a single chunk. so it does end up a little thin particularly after a mashout. but I will aim for ~2l/lb (Mixing my measurment systems) as a first step then mashout with the rest.

I want some brown sugar flavour and a little sweetness (since I can't use lactose) hence the molasses which if I remember correctly should add a little unfermentable sweetness.

Drew,

How was the roast level on your brew? I notice you added the caraffa at sparge time to reduce the roastyness. Also what was your experience flavour wise betweent he rolled oats and malted?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:54:14 am »
Did you use ceylon cinnamon or cassia for the tincture? Ceylon is a lot milder, not as hot but, I think, with better flavour that the cassia. might need to experiment with that part.

Since my goal was to replicate an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie I made the tincture out of whole cassia sticks.

I actually don't think I've ever had my hands on whole ceylon cinnamon.

How was the roast level on your brew? I notice you added the caraffa at sparge time to reduce the roastyness. Also what was your experience flavour wise betweent he rolled oats and malted?

Virtually no roast character - really just wanted the color and maybe some toffee characters. I think the malted oats are nuttier and toastier than rolled oats, plus you have the advantage of having a husk.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 03:31:18 pm »
I would skip the ginger and use a vanilla bean instead. I plan to do a similar beer but use a Belgian-style Dubbel as the base beer.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:19:38 pm »
I tend to think of nutmeg when I think of oatmeal raisin cookies. More so than ginger. Perhaps that would be good in tincture?

Let us know how it turns out! I'm not set up for all-grain yet, nor do I feel experienced enough, but the recipe sounds epic.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »
I tend to think of nutmeg when I think of oatmeal raisin cookies. More so than ginger. Perhaps that would be good in tincture?

Let us know how it turns out! I'm not set up for all-grain yet, nor do I feel experienced enough, but the recipe sounds epic.

A touch of nutmeg does sound nice. I am hesitant as I used nutmeg in a mead once and went way over the top with it. but perhaps a few shavings in the tincture with the ceylon cinnamon.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:22:32 pm »
Have you ever carmalized raisins before? I'm thinking they'll burn easily... I would think add some to the boil around 5-10m and if you want more flavor add them at end of primary too. maybe something to help:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/BIAB-AG-OatmealCookieBrown.pdf
Phoenix, AZ