Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Colorado and Utah Trip?  (Read 15642 times)

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
Re: Colorado and Utah Trip?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:17 am »
Aspen Brewery is worth a stop for beers and conversation.  I agree with the comments on Glenwood Springs, hit or miss, but they do have about 9 beers on tap right now.  Was at both over the past weekend.  The recommendation for Elevation Brewery in Poncha Springs is right on and their Apis Quad is excellant.  But if you are in that area, drive a couple of more miles to Salida and hit Amicas.  Great beers and pizza.  There is another pizza/brewery up the street, Moonlight Pizza and Brewpub.  I could go on forever as my wife and I try to hit every brewery in every town in Colorado we go through.  Since we live in Colorado Springs and vacation in Colorado, our beer drinking/sampling is constant.  Also come to Colorado Springs and you have about tons of breweries to hit.  Bristol, Trinitys, Black Fox, Great Storm, Rocky Mountion, Pikes Pike, BJs...
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 09:28:58 am »
If the brewer at Prost was at Dry Dock, I think Prost needs a visit. Probably won't get to Dry Dock.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 10:10:22 am »
If the brewer at Prost was at Dry Dock, I think Prost needs a visit. Probably won't get to Dry Dock.

Bill Eye, who is the brewmaster and managing partner of Prost was w/ Dry Dock and helped them produce some great beers.  His Hefe and Altbier at Dry Dock won multiple gold and silver at past GABFs.  So I'm expecting great things from Prost.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline mcfa0779

• 1st Kit
Colorado and Utah Trip?
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:17 pm »
Well if you are in Moab you might just skip the brewing scene there and head to the liquor store. Try some of Epic Brewery beers, they are out of SLC and only brew regular strength beers. Anything in the Exponential series they put out is worth trying and Brainless is an excellent Belgian beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 05:43:05 am »
Well if you are in Moab you might just skip the brewing scene there and head to the liquor store. Try some of Epic Brewery beers, they are out of SLC and only brew regular strength beers. Anything in the Exponential series they put out is worth trying and Brainless is an excellent Belgian beer.

That is an alternative. We will stop at Moab Brewing at least once, and they are in the AHA Members Deals (food).

We get Epic here in Michigan, and I have tried at least one of their beers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 11:00:51 am »
+10 on Prost.  Bill Eye really believes in the Reinheitsgebot and he's great to talk with.

There are several other small breweries within a few blocks from there too as well as Amato's Tap House run by Breckenridge.

Of course the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver can be a one stop spot too.  70 beers on tap.

And +10 for Pagosa Springs Brewery.  Tony is a great guy too.

I am not sure if they have been mentioned, but almost every town has at least one brewery now.  Dillon (Dillon Dam Brewery and Pug Ryans), Frisco (Backcournty), Breckenridge (original Breckenridge Brewpub).

Give us a holler if you'd like company.

Cheers.  Beautiful time to go too.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
We know the Falling Rock from the NHC in2007. Great place.
Will give some notice before we go to Prost probably next week.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »
If you do go to the Glenwood Brewpub ask for Ken the brewer.  He will bring out the good stuff.  He has done very well with his doppelbock lately.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 09:58:14 am »
Back home and time for the trip report. Thanks to everyone upfront for the good information.

Started in Ft. Collins, went to New Belgium, Odells, and Equinox. That was about all we could handle in 1.5 days in town. Really liked Odells and Equinox for the beers. New Belguim had a great atmosphere, but some of the beers were hit and miss.

We drove south and decided not to stop at Boulder or Longmont - too early in the day. Did stop at Amicas in Salida ( cool old mining town we might go back to someday) and liked the IPA and Black Lager. Poncha Springs was close by, and we stopped at Elevation. That place is making some tasty beers. The Apis Quad sample was so tasty, the wife bought a 750 to take home.

Spent a night in Alamosa as I was tired of driving. Went to San Louis Valley Brewing for dinner and a beer. The wife had a Vanilla Cream Ale - she missed the Vanilla part - and did not like it. I had the IPA, but it was the 427 IPA and not the regular. This one was grainy and not overly hoppy - meh. Food was very good though.

The next day we drove west, too early to stop at 3 barrel in Del Norte. At Pagossa Springs we stopped at Pagossa Brewing for one and a light lunch. We regretted the fact that we were not spending the night here. I had a very good IPA and she had an excellent Cream Ale. Stopped at Chimney Rock to tour the ruins.

On to Durango, which was a zoo due to a motorcyle event in the area. Too much traffic and too many loud Harleys on the streets. We did stop at Ska for one, and got a couple of 6 packs to go. Decided to go to Cortez for the night. Stopped at Main Streeet brewing, which did not impress us.

Spent 4 nights in Moab as we were going to do several hikes in the Parks. Went to the Moab brewery twice. The beers are OK for 4% session beers, and we each found ones we liked. She liked the Dead Horse Ale, I liked the IPA (a little thin, but at 4% what do you want?). Ate there one night, and the food is not as good as it was many years back - she wanted the sweet potato fries but not on the menu now. I remember the tri-tips being very good, but those were just stips of brisket, and not very good brisket.

Hiked to Delicate Arch one morning, in the dark. Wanted to see the sunrise from there on my 60th birthday (yeah I'm old). It was a good hike and a good way to celebrate. Also had an outstanding dinner at Desert Bistro to celebrate, also (drank wine that night).

On the way back to Denver we stopped at Crazy Mountain in Edwards. This place was not much to see, but the beers were excellent, well crafted, and very drinkable. I agree, this is a "Do Not Miss" place on I-70.

In Denver we had to try Prost. Very good Pilsner and Dunkel. The Gemuchlickite was appropriate. Recommend this one to anyone that wants a good lager.

All in all a fun trip. Thanks again to all for the recommendations.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »
I am revisiting this topic because I'm on a similar trip right now.  We spent two nights in Denver and I highly recommend Euclid Hall for the beer and especially the food.  I had an excellent sour beer from Dry Dock (Aurora) at Falling Rock and a good lunch at Wynkoop.
We are now in Glenwood Springs and I can corraborate the comments on Glenwood Canyon's beer, although I only had one IPA, but it was fairly sweet and not what I was hoping for.
We will be in Moab Tuesday and Wednesday, then heading east through Gunnison toward Colorado Springs by the end of the week.
I need to study the notes from this thread more this evening.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »
Moab Brewing is OK, for Utah 4% beer, considering the alernatives.

Desert Bistro if you can.

Elevation in Poncha Spings on the way back.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 08:15:19 pm »

Had some Elevation beers @ the GABF and I was very, very impressed!  Definitely keeping an eye on these guys.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 09:43:44 pm »

Had some Elevation beers @ the GABF and I was very, very impressed!  Definitely keeping an eye on these guys.

I will try to stop there later this week.  It looks very promising from their web site.
We just came back from an excellent meal at The Pullman in Glenwood Springs.  Pot roast and kimchi tacos, pork belly and whatever (it's all good if it starts with pork belly), lamb meatballs and gnudi, whatever that is.  The beer was good, too, but not as memorable as the food.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995