Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Better Bottles or Glass Carboys?  (Read 9705 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Better Bottles or Glass Carboys?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 07:23:04 am »
Anyone have any problems cleaning better bottles.  My concern is that since one cannot brush them clean, we are dependent on chemicals.  Anyone have problems with bacteria growth?

Thanks for all the good info.
Once mine are visually clean, I put a small terry towel (the kind you find in auto parts stores) or washcloth with 1/2 gallon of the spent cleaning liquid and shake and swirl everything around for a minute. 

Option 2: My LHBS has brushes that claim to be safe for plastic fermenters.  That has not been tested!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Re: Better Bottles or Glass Carboys?
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 07:36:51 am »
I've never had anything grow in my BB ( had a mouse fall in once ).  An extended soak with Oxiclean/PBW and they are clean.  Even the dried on krausen comes right off after the soak.
What concentration of Oxyclean do you use?(tablespoons/gallon)

I use about 1.5 scoops in a six gallon better bottle filled with hot tap water and let it soak for at least several hours up to overnight.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:22 am »
I've never had anything grow in my BB ( had a mouse fall in once ).  An extended soak with Oxiclean/PBW and they are clean.  Even the dried on krausen comes right off after the soak.
Some in a bunch of water  ;D  I know, not very scientific.  If I had to guess, maybe 2 scoops in the 6 gallons and fill it right to the top.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 07:50:07 am »
Anyone have any problems cleaning better bottles.  My concern is that since one cannot brush them clean, we are dependent on chemicals.  Anyone have problems with bacteria growth?

Thanks for all the good info.
Once mine are visually clean, I put a small terry towel (the kind you find in auto parts stores) or washcloth with 1/2 gallon of the spent cleaning liquid and shake and swirl everything around for a minute. 

Option 2: My LHBS has brushes that claim to be safe for plastic fermenters.  That has not been tested!

The soak typically does it, but if not I put a rag around a bottle brush, secured with rubber bands, and just use that.  Gently and carefully.

I do have one BB that I scratched up before I learned this trick and I've yet to get an infection or nasty stuff in it.

I also am not scientific on my measurements for cleaning, but I dump in some cascade and/or oxy clean and let it soak awhile.  Works like a charm.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:29 am »
I ran glass carboys for 6 years, and have recently switched back to buckets for primary. Easier to clean, easier to lift into the fermenteezer, easier to store (although when are they ever empty) and cheaper. You can use them for sanitizing bottles too.  I still use the glass for extended bulk conditioning if I'm out of kegs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Better Bottles or Glass Carboys?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 08:39:09 am »
Some in a bunch of water  ;D  I know, not very scientific.  If I had to guess, maybe 2 scoops in the 6 gallons and fill it right to the top.

I use 1-2 Tbsp. per 6 gal.  Use a LOT less than they recommend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 10:10:24 am »

Similar here, but I use an old sock :)
Joe

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 10:12:12 am »

I never fill mine up for the soak.  Any crud that's in them is only around the top where the krausen was.  I only fill enough to that, with the Better Bottle upside down, the crud in under water (usually takes less than a gallon).
Joe

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 11:01:31 am »

I never fill mine up for the soak.  Any crud that's in them is only around the top where the krausen was.  I only fill enough to that, with the Better Bottle upside down, the crud in under water (usually takes less than a gallon).
I do that with my glass carboys, but how do you keep the bb from collapsing as the hot air inside cools?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:59 am »

I do that with my glass carboys, but how do you keep the bb from collapsing as the hot air inside cools?

It happens.  After the first couple hours, I just flip it over, pop the top to let it expand back out, put the top back on and flip it back over.  Only need to relieve the pressure that way once or twice.
Joe

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:42 am »
After I had one of my glass carboys crack along the bottom edge 4 days into fermentation, I moved to BBs.  Around midnight I heard a clink from downstairs and did not think about it.  Next morning I had a leak in my glass!  Transferred to a BB and went on my merry way.  No pieces of glass, just a 9 inch crack. BBs clean up just like everyone else has said and work great.  BTW I primary ferment in a bucket for ease of cleaning and extra room for krausen growth.  Then secondary in either BB or my last glass carboy.  No difference with what comes out in the end.
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:15 pm »

Similar here, but I use an old sock :)
doesn't that lead to unwanted pregnancies 8)
Don AHA member

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
bit of a tangent, but...
I am extremely careful with my nearly 20 Better Bottles, but have cracked a couple with high concentrations of PBW over several hours. Have to remember to add the PBW to the water too, not vice versa.

I would read this, and come to your own conclusions.
http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/WashingSanitizingStudy.pdf

FWIW, here's what they recommend:
http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Free-and-Clear/Laundry-Detergent

cheers--
--Michael

Offline stadelman

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 08:09:30 am »
If you end up deciding on a Better Bottle, Midwest has the 6 gallon with racking adapter and vale for 10% off...
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/10/midwest-supplies-6-gallon-better-bottle.html

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 08:46:01 am »
BB definitely over carboys.  Not afraid of using buckets for lagers either.  Have not had a problem. 

Dave
Dave Zach