Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keg into fermenter  (Read 3623 times)

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
keg into fermenter
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:25:38 pm »
Anybody out there convert a 15gal ss keg into a fermenter?  I've been running the logistics over and over in my head and I think it could work for a nice 10 gal FV, but I'm also wondering if anybody's ever done it with any success.  It'd kinda be designed after a conical, but not quite.  Advice?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: keg into fermenter
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »
not done it myself but I know a few people who have and they seem happy. I know more folks that ferment 10 gallon batches in the 15 gallon vittles vaults pet food containers though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:07:25 pm »
Lots of ways to do it .  Most use it like a big carboy.  Put an orange carboy cap on and you're good to go. 

I use the "slim" quarter kegs.  They are 7.75 gallons, as tall as a pin-lock, and a little wider.

Brewers Hardware also sells a stainless cap to use.

Brewers have also cut out the top and made a pressure lid for it.  Others have welded on a corny top.

I like to keep it simple.  YMMV

P.S. you can use cornies too.
Brew on

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »
I use the Brewers Hardware tri-clamp setup.  I'm thrilled with it... although I do wish I could reach inside to clean it.

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 02:09:13 pm »
vittles vaults - good idea.  i've seen 'em around.  never thought about using them as a fermenter.

i was planning on cutting the top out so i could top-crop the yeast and then have the bottom and lower/front valves as well. 

transporting the liquid is another hurdle for the future.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »
I have been fermenting in a 15 gallon corny keg for the last several years.  Took an inch off the dip tube and it works great.  I run a blow off hose off the gas.  Plenty of head space for 11 gallon batches.  Transfer to serving kegs under CO2.  Soak in PBW to clean. 

The only downside is that it's heavy as can be when full.  I put casters on my chest freezer along with a 12" collar to accommodate the tall keg.  I put the keg in empty and roll it over to my brewstand to pump my wort into it. 

This is a picture of it next to my old brew stand.

I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 03:20:28 pm »
If I had one of those I'd go back to 12 gallon batches. The 12"collar works huh? Seems to me it wouldn't tax the unit too much.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:57:29 am »
Doesn't seem to tax it too much.  That is, the unit doesn't have any trouble holding fermentation temps and cold crashing down to near freezing.  As far as longevity, I assume that Texas summers are the biggest enemy of my chest freezer fermentation chamber.  This is my second chest freezer.  It has had the collar on it since day one.  It's in its second year of service.  We will see how long it lasts.

I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!