General Category > Ask the Experts

Ask the Experts: Mitch Steele on IPA

<< < (2/14) > >>

saintpierre:

--- Quote from: beersk on October 18, 2012, 10:45:49 AM ---I can't read it without having some kind of hoppy beer to accompany it.

--- End quote ---
I think that is a requirement... :D

jmd71:
I have been homebrewing for 10+ years - bottling & kegging.  I never have gotten good results from dry hopping.  Currently, I put whole leaf hops in a hop bag, drop in keg & rack on top.  I then remove after 5-10 days & add another charge the same way (hop bag) if called for.

However, every time I've gotten just vegetal, grassy flavors regardless of the varietal used.  Because of this, I have cut out dry hopping in all my beers 100% & just add those same hops at flameout which provides exactly what I am looking for.

Do you have any clue what could be cause the unpleasant flavors in dry hopping using the procedures above?  Is late hopping just as effective & dry hopping unnecessary?

Thanks,
Jonathan

gandelf:

--- Quote from: jmd71 on October 18, 2012, 05:13:09 PM ---I have been homebrewing for 10+ years - bottling & kegging.  I never have gotten good results from dry hopping.  Currently, I put whole leaf hops in a hop bag, drop in keg & rack on top.  I then remove after 5-10 days & add another charge the same way (hop bag) if called for.

However, every time I've gotten just vegetal, grassy flavors regardless of the varietal used.  Because of this, I have cut out dry hopping in all my beers 100% & just add those same hops at flameout which provides exactly what I am looking for.

Do you have any clue what could be cause the unpleasant flavors in dry hopping using the procedures above?  Is late hopping just as effective & dry hopping unnecessary?

--- End quote ---

I have been homebrewing for just over 12 years and finally, finally found a solution for great hop flavor and aroma. I should state this works great FOR ME. I use a water filter housing as a torpedo (Sierra Nevada) and recirculate the freshly kegged wort for 2 days at cellar temp (60-65 F). I use 2 to 6 ounces of hops in a bag. The flavor and aroma does start to diminish after 2 to 3 weeks.

So, I would like to hear what Mitch would have to say concerning extending/preserving hop characteristics  in packaging. My process is pretty tight. I don't filter and would like to know how much hop character is removed by the residual yeast flocculating/settling in the keg?

I have thought about re-torpedoing, but have been too lazy to try that yet.

morticaixavier:
Wait, you recirc WORT at cellar temps for 2 DAYS through the hops?

beersk:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on October 19, 2012, 08:08:13 AM ---Wait, you recirc WORT at cellar temps for 2 DAYS through the hops?

--- End quote ---
Seems kinda crazy...before pitching the yeast?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version