Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cramming for a BJCP Tasting Exam  (Read 13368 times)

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
Re: Cramming for a BJCP Tasting Exam
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 07:50:27 pm »
You can organize a BJCP sanctioned competition now that you are a member and either an apprentice judge since you took the exam or recognized judge if you passed the exam. If you organize a completion, it will help move you up in the BJCP ranks to become a certified judge...you will also need judging points to move up so you could kill two birds with one stone in that respect.

I'll take a crack on the off flavor for the pils and say it was due to water.  If you brew that style with moderate to high mineral content in your water, it will give a mildly astringent and heavily harsh feel due to the hops clashing with the minerals in the water.  That may have been what you were tasting in the pils that you couldn't put your finger on.
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 07:56:34 pm »
You can organize a BJCP sanctioned competition now that you are a member and either an apprentice judge since you took the exam or recognized judge if you passed the exam. If you organize a completion, it will help move you up in the BJCP ranks to become a certified judge...you will also need judging points to move up so you could kill two birds with one stone in that respect.

I'll take a crack on the off flavor for the pils and say it was due to water.  If you brew that style with moderate to high mineral content in your water, it will give a mildly astringent and heavily harsh feel due to the hops clashing with the minerals in the water.  That may have been what you were tasting in the pils that you couldn't put your finger on.

I may just do that.  In fact, after seeing other posts about organizing a competition, I sent a note to a local "beer fest" that does not have a homebrew competition and offered to help if they wanted to start one.  So we will see (nothing like jumping in with both feet). 

I've given up on the pilsner.  It's time to move on with life.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 06:21:25 am »
Just to point out, you do not need to be a BJCP judge to organize a sanctioned competition.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!