Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stir plate overflow - start again?  (Read 2854 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
stir plate overflow - start again?
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:25:27 pm »
I made a starter with WPL001, 1150ml water + 115g DME, boiled it down to 1L after 10 minutes, hit 1.039 and put it on the stir plate overnight at low-medium speed.  This morning I noticed what I thought was a slight overflow on the side of the flask ended up being a thick, gooey sludge underneath the flask.  Is it safe to assume that what spilled was the crux of that starter, i.e. the yeast, and that I'll need to start over?

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
Re: stir plate overflow - start again?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:39:01 pm »
I don't have a complete answer to your question, but I have experienced this a couple times before.  I went ahead and used the starter both times with successful outcome.  So, while I don't think you need to start over from personal unscientific experiences, someone may overrule me with a better answer.  :)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »
I also don't think that you have to start over.

Kai

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
stir plate overflow - start again?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »
This has happened to me several times with 001. It is fine. Brew on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 06:38:37 am »
After resting in the fridge overnight, a solid 1/4" of cake has settled on the bottom, so I suppose I'm all set.  Thanks for the reassurance. 

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 10:17:51 am »
After resting in the fridge overnight, a solid 1/4" of cake has settled on the bottom, so I suppose I'm all set.  Thanks for the reassurance.

If you really want to be assured you're pitching properly, take a liter or so of wort from your brew day and put it on the yeast for 4-6 hours on the stir plate prior to pitching in the full batch.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.