Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian dark strong, low FG  (Read 4144 times)

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
Belgian dark strong, low FG
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:50:38 am »
I am 12 days into fermenting The Number 8 extract kit from Northern Brewer and my gravity is down to 1.011 with activity still going on slowly.  The low end of the guidelines on this style says 1.014.  Did I go wrong somewhere?  It tastes delicious so I am not really worried, just wanted some input.  Thanks.
Mike

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Belgian dark strong, low FG
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:02 am »
RDWHAHB!

Sometimes yeast decide to ferment out of their normal boundaries.  If it tastes good, you are just fine.

Dave

EDIT:  Just curious.  What type of yeast and what is the attenuation % at this point?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:54:37 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »
The kit said OG 1.080, my reading was 1.072 but I am not sure that the additional water and wort were mixed as well as they should have been.  Yeast was Wyeast 1762.
Mike

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:15:34 pm »
If it tastes good, that's all that matters. Being a little too dry on an extract BDS is a good problem to have, IMO.

And if you haven't checked the calibration on your hydrometer, it can't hurt to give it a check, especially if your OG looked a little low too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:39 pm »
Ok, checked my hydrometer and it is a little low, water was .999, so not a big deal.  I think I prefer a little drier strong beer anyway.  Some seem to be a bit too sweet to me.
Mike

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:33:21 am »
A BDS that is strong but not heavy is one that keeps you coming back. Garrett Oliver said that was his mission for Local 2 (and that's a big BDS that you can have several glasses of).

It may need to condition a bit after fermentation to mellow out the "hot" alcohol notes, but you're right on track with FG to make a nice BDS.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:46:45 pm »
Thanks Kyle.  I have read in many of the reviews for this kit that it had a lot of the "hot" alcohol taste for a long time but then got better.  I have had really good control over my fermentation temps and am very happy to say that I don't even get those "hot" notes even now in the samples that I have tried.  I will still age it in a secondary according to the instructions, but I think this one will be ready to drink as soon as it is carbonated.   

I also rechecked the kit info and the stated OG is actually 1.087, so if I get down much lower than I am now, this thing is gonna pack a punch. ;D
Mike

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »
I had a BDS that got 90% attentuation.  From 1.100 to 1.010.  For the first six months it was pretty hot but still very good.  After that the hotness faded and it became truly outstanding.

BDS is a style that ages well.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:33:42 am »
BDS is a style that ages well.

Indeed. I have a BDS from February 2010 that is pretty magical.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article