Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No Sparge Method  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Fritzbrew

• 1st Kit
    • Fritz Brewing Co
No Sparge Method
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:31:52 am »
Was wondering what people think about brewing with the no sparge method.  Advantages/disadvantages?  Obviously less work but I know things that seem to good to be true usually are. 
Fritzbrewingco

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: No Sparge Method
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:18:57 pm »
I think the only real issue is getting poor efficiency and mashtun capacity. Otherwise, if you don't mind leaving a lot of sugars behind and using extra grain, then it seems like a good method.
Jesse

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:53 pm »
It's not all that less efficient, especially for regular strength beers.
And it is the easiest way for big beers.
Brew on

Offline Fritzbrew

• 1st Kit
    • Fritz Brewing Co
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 01:54:57 pm »
I think its worth a shot so I can see what the difference in efficiency is to what I normally get from my fly sparging
Fritzbrewingco

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 02:39:03 pm »
it is my understanding that you get more malt complexity with first runnings.  i like the parti gyle technique because you get two different beers to play with.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:38:19 pm »
I get about 65% when no-sparging. Depends on your qt/# for eff though. Flavor is noticeably better but maybe not enough to offset $3-4 dollars you save when batch-sparging.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 05:34:11 am »
I get about the same 75% efficiency with no-sparge.  I actually mash with the entire amount too, so my ratio is around 3.5 for an average 1.050 beer.  I can't say it makes better beer, but its simple if you have the room in your mashtun.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:41:19 am »
I use no-sparge quite routinely. I get 75% mash efficiency from no sparge and 85% from batch sparging.  It'll depend on the size of the grain bill and your conversion efficiency.

I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but you can make a great no-sparge beer with decent efficiency.  I make my pale lagers with no-sparge to try to minimize tannins, and I'm very happy with the results.