Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belma Hops?!?!?  (Read 21667 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Belma Hops?!?!?
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:01:52 am »
It looks like Puterbaugh Farms has a new hop variety for 2012!!!

http://www.hopsdirect.com/leaf/

They sound very interesting.....Can't wait to try some (and they are SUPER cheap!)!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Belma Hops?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:38:24 pm »
Damn, I really hope this one stays in stock until the rest of their 2012 crop comes in. As good as the price is, I can't justify spending 15 bucks on shipping for a $5 order.

Now if I can just find a source for Meridian and Mosaic this season...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 10:06:10 pm »
I just organized a group buy for my homebrew club.  I think that Belma hops sound great.  Although, I don't think I'll be able to justify another order unless they get some Simcoe in stock.
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline michaeltrego

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:16:42 am »
Now if I can just find a source for Meridian and Mosaic this season...

For Meridian try Ted Hausotter at Hop Heaven in Baker City, OR.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:11:35 am »
Just ordered some. I'll try these out soon and let you know my experience.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:48:50 am »
I just ordered some too, mostly because of the price point. I got a pound of Citra too, so it might be a while before I get around to using the Belma.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 01:39:04 pm »
We'll first see what they smell like then i'll decide when and what I'll us them in. I wonder if they have any more info on them as far as the cohumulone and what not. Wondering if at 12.1% AA they might be a decent bittering hop.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:28:00 am »
I just organized a group buy for my homebrew club.  I think that Belma hops sound great.  Although, I don't think I'll be able to justify another order unless they get some Simcoe in stock.

they won't get simcoe.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 06:49:13 pm »
Ok, just got 2lbs. today.  Now I need to decide my hop schedule.  My plan is to do a low gravity APA/hoppy blonde with the new Northern Brewer Marris Otter extract for an 0G approx. 1.042, 20 minute boil.

Orginally I was planning:
14g @ 10min
28g @ 0min
14-28g dry hop

But, since these are whole hops I am contemplating using the Blichmann hop rocket.  Do I keep the same hop schedule or just do 2oz in the hop rocket at flame out, and maybe dry hop?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:29:03 pm »
Ok, just got 2lbs. today.  Now I need to decide my hop schedule.  My plan is to do a low gravity APA/hoppy blonde with the new Northern Brewer Marris Otter extract for an 0G approx. 1.042, 20 minute boil.

Orginally I was planning:
14g @ 10min
28g @ 0min
14-28g dry hop

But, since these are whole hops I am contemplating using the Blichmann hop rocket.  Do I keep the same hop schedule or just do 2oz in the hop rocket at flame out, and maybe dry hop?

I think your schedule will be OK, but you may want to make the first addition a little earlier if you want to get a bit more flavor from the hops. For my batch of all-extract single-hopped pale ales, I dissolved the extract as the wort came up to temp, then threw in 40 IBU's of hops (calculated as a 20-minute addition) once the temp was in the 150F range to approximate a FWH addition. I was surprised at how much different the flavor components of certain hops were compared to their aromas. I was also able to pick out some differences in bittering character between the different varieties I used. I'm not so sure that would be as noticeable from a later addition.

Since you're doing a short-boil extract brew, it may be a good idea to do another batch or two with hops you are familiar with for comparison. Citra is a good benchmark to compare how strong the aroma is.

I also like your choice of MO for the extract. That extra bit of maltiness will give you a better picture of how the hops balance a bit of malt.
Eric B.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »
I had a considered a 7g addition at 20 min and a 30 min boil.  I may put that back in.  I don't really want to do a true bittering addition or a FWH addition, especially based on your experiences with Calypso. I orginially planned this brew for Calypso, but didn't get it done last week and the Belma's arrived. So, I changed my plan.  I am trying to keep my IBUs around 20. The whole hops have kind of thrown me on what I want to do for a hop schedule, because I really want to use the hop rocket. It's not that I have to use 2oz, but would like too. I am mainly doing this for the following reasons:

1. Try out different hop flavor and aromas. 
2. Propagate yeast for a wee heavy (using scottish ale yeast)
3. I am familiar enough with hops like Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Nelson, etc. to know what to expect from their flavor/aroma profile.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....thank for the insight erockrph :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:09:44 pm by hoser »

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »
Interesting aromatics from a freshly opened bag:  dank, musty, wet grass.  None of the aroma/flavor descriptors from the website.  Curious to see how this changes in the wort and beer...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:58:41 am »
Interesting aromatics from a freshly opened bag:  dank, musty, wet grass.  None of the aroma/flavor descriptors from the website.  Curious to see how this changes in the wort and beer...

I had a similar experience with Caliente. I ended up getting an awesome fresh peach/plum aroma in the finished beer that I didn't get off the hops themselves. I did find that with quite a few hops the aroma off the raw hops was closer to the flavor I got in the beer than the aroma.
Eric B.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »
Had a very light pale ale (4%) sitting on an ounce of Belma since last Friday, so 5 days.  Took a sample, fairly disappointing... especially compared to the other kegs I had also just dry hopped (2 other 4% pale ales, 1 with US Goldings, the other with Citra). 

Pretty much duplicated my observations when smelling all 3 packages of hops last week, the Belma was by far the mildest and least interesting.

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 09:12:02 am »
Kegged a batch of American Wheat made with Belma today. I like this hop, citrussy with an orange character. Check my blog, Penrose Picobrewery for recipe.