General Category > Ingredients

Belma Hops?!?!?

<< < (2/8) > >>

nateo:
I just ordered some too, mostly because of the price point. I got a pound of Citra too, so it might be a while before I get around to using the Belma.

brewmichigan:
We'll first see what they smell like then i'll decide when and what I'll us them in. I wonder if they have any more info on them as far as the cohumulone and what not. Wondering if at 12.1% AA they might be a decent bittering hop.

blatz:

--- Quote from: barliman on October 06, 2012, 09:06:10 PM ---I just organized a group buy for my homebrew club.  I think that Belma hops sound great.  Although, I don't think I'll be able to justify another order unless they get some Simcoe in stock.

--- End quote ---

they won't get simcoe.

hoser:
Ok, just got 2lbs. today.  Now I need to decide my hop schedule.  My plan is to do a low gravity APA/hoppy blonde with the new Northern Brewer Marris Otter extract for an 0G approx. 1.042, 20 minute boil.

Orginally I was planning:
14g @ 10min
28g @ 0min
14-28g dry hop

But, since these are whole hops I am contemplating using the Blichmann hop rocket.  Do I keep the same hop schedule or just do 2oz in the hop rocket at flame out, and maybe dry hop?

erockrph:

--- Quote from: hoser on October 11, 2012, 05:49:13 PM ---Ok, just got 2lbs. today.  Now I need to decide my hop schedule.  My plan is to do a low gravity APA/hoppy blonde with the new Northern Brewer Marris Otter extract for an 0G approx. 1.042, 20 minute boil.

Orginally I was planning:
14g @ 10min
28g @ 0min
14-28g dry hop

But, since these are whole hops I am contemplating using the Blichmann hop rocket.  Do I keep the same hop schedule or just do 2oz in the hop rocket at flame out, and maybe dry hop?

--- End quote ---

I think your schedule will be OK, but you may want to make the first addition a little earlier if you want to get a bit more flavor from the hops. For my batch of all-extract single-hopped pale ales, I dissolved the extract as the wort came up to temp, then threw in 40 IBU's of hops (calculated as a 20-minute addition) once the temp was in the 150F range to approximate a FWH addition. I was surprised at how much different the flavor components of certain hops were compared to their aromas. I was also able to pick out some differences in bittering character between the different varieties I used. I'm not so sure that would be as noticeable from a later addition.

Since you're doing a short-boil extract brew, it may be a good idea to do another batch or two with hops you are familiar with for comparison. Citra is a good benchmark to compare how strong the aroma is.

I also like your choice of MO for the extract. That extra bit of maltiness will give you a better picture of how the hops balance a bit of malt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version