Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour mashing technique - how to be precise?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline afacini

• Cellarman
Sour mashing technique - how to be precise?
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
Over the course of the past few years, I've worked on and perfected a berliner weisse recipe that is pretty delicious. I can definitely share the recipe if anyone is interested.

My issue is this: I've never yet been able to get a sour mash to run successfully. Instead, I've taken the shortcut to add lactic acid at packaging to the tune of exactly 3.75 fl oz (at 88% dilution).

Knowing this, I want to reattempt a sour mash, so that my BW can be "truer." But as I have another go, I want to try and reach this ~3.3 oz of acid to keep the recipe intact. How does one control the sour mash fermentation, and is it possible to gauge the amount of acid produced?

Thanks as always.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Sour mashing technique - how to be precise?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:36:30 am »
My friend has brewed many sour mash berliners (I hope to try it next summer with his guidance).  He sparges the wort into a spare igloo cooler, cools it to 110 F, adds 1lb of dry grain, puts the top on and lets it sit for 24-48 hours. He adds boiling water during the souring to keep the temperature up - he also wraps the cooler in an electric blanket. I think generally the temperature doesn't drop much. 24 hours is enough for plenty of acidity. Keeping it warm is key!!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Sour mashing technique - how to be precise?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:59:12 am »
Look at the Berliner Weiss presentation from the NHC 2012, which can be found at http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/lets-brew/homebrewing-seminars/2012