Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Timothy Taylor's Landlord  (Read 9048 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Timothy Taylor's Landlord
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:06:16 pm »
I just bought some Timothy Taylor's Landlord from my local liquor store? I saw it on the shelf, and obviously just had to buy it. I didn't realize that they were being imported here. Regardless, it was a pretty tasty beer. Some hay and spice in the aroma, nice chewy malt...really quite delicious. I don't get the slight orange marmalade that I get from the clone version I brew, but that may be because this has traveled, and lost some aroma.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45557462@N02/8064097529/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:57:58 pm by maaswinhester »
Kyle M.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: Timothy Taylor's Landlord
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:29:17 pm »
Speaking as the Yank in the UK that I am.

Landlord is a good solid ale.  One thing I find is that it varies from year to year in taste.  I don't know if it is the Golden Promise malt but it seems to swing with the seasons.  The one thing it has going wrong with it is that Madonna said it was her favorite beer a few years ago and that riled the locals up a bit.  Regardless, it is a much better out of a hand pump thna it is out of a bottle. 
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

Landlord is a good solid ale.  One thing I find is that it varies from year to year in taste.  I don't know if it is the Golden Promise malt but it seems to swing with the seasons.  The one thing it has going wrong with it is that Madonna said it was her favorite beer a few years ago and that riled the locals up a bit.  Regardless, it is a much better out of a hand pump thna it is out of a bottle.
I've only ever had it on cask so I would hesitate to buy it in a bottle in the US. I remember being excited to get Fullers' Porter over here and being very disappointed. It was a completely different beer compared to what I'd had in England.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 04:46:05 pm »
It is different in the bottle regardless of location.  I bought a bottle a couple of years ago to share with my parents when they came over and it just was not the same.  This is not to be unexpected as most beers are at least a bit different in the bottle.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »

I've only ever had it on cask so I would hesitate to buy it in a bottle in the US. I remember being excited to get Fullers' Porter over here and being very disappointed. It was a completely different beer compared to what I'd had in England.

I brew the clone all the time, so I was excited to see the bottle. However, I wasn't expecting it to blow my mind. Nonetheless, I was not at all disappointed. It was certainly different than what I've been making, but then, I've never had the real thing, so I don't know if I should be disappointed.
Kyle M.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 06:57:59 pm »
Which clone version do you brew?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:01:46 pm »
Which clone version do you brew?

Funny you should ask, I was actually going to brew your version, Hopfenundmalz, in a couple of weeks.

However, I brew the Northern Brewer version, except that I move the EKG to 15 minutes usually.

www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Innkeeper.pdf
Kyle M.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:16:34 pm »
There are a few things I am thinking about for the next time.

All Simpsons GP for the base malt. Use the dark British Crystal. Pitch a full amount of yeast (or a little more), don't use O2 just splash or shake, and ramp the temps up at the end. Get he sulfates to 350 ppm or above.

Last time needed more esters, and lacked some residual sweetness, and needed a little of the Burton snatch. At least that was how it compared with my memory.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:39 am »
There are a few things I am thinking about for the next time.

All Simpsons GP for the base malt. Use the dark British Crystal. Pitch a full amount of yeast (or a little more), don't use O2 just splash or shake, and ramp the temps up at the end. Get he sulfates to 350 ppm or above.

Last time needed more esters, and lacked some residual sweetness, and needed a little of the Burton snatch. At least that was how it compared with my memory.

Very interesting. I have a couple of questions then.

I have been using Fawcett GP, and have not used Simpson's. Do you think I should make the change, and what has been the difference between the two brands been, in your experience? Further, generally I have been using the Fawcett Dark Crystal (II), which has a 118-124 L, is that too dark?

Otherwise, I usually make a starter, and make a nice healthy dose to pitch. I agree that the ones I have underpitched have been a bit too much with the esters.
Kyle M.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:47:25 am »
Th.e one I did with the Simpson's had the underlying sweetness, and less toastyness. The Simpsons is around 1.9L vs 3 or 3+ for the TF.

The Dark Crystal will work fine.

I am trying to get more esters by underaerating and pitching the right amount. This is to limit growth and get to ester production sooner. Will ramp up a little warmer too and see if more of the stone fruit flavor comes out. Had some last time going up to 68F, but not enough.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 10:29:30 pm »
Just found a bottle of this today and had to try it. Not sure how old the bottle is, but it seems to be in good condition. As I poured it I was worried something was off because I got an aroma that really reminds me of a Flanders or Kriek. It turned out to be a nice stonefruit ester that is amplified a bit by dark English Crystal malt. Never tried it before, but what an incredible beer. It has a rich maltiness up front that dries out quick and leaves you ready for the next sip. Going to have to brew something in this vein real soon.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 10:14:20 am »
Just found a bottle of this today and had to try it. Not sure how old the bottle is, but it seems to be in good condition. As I poured it I was worried something was off because I got an aroma that really reminds me of a Flanders or Kriek. It turned out to be a nice stonefruit ester that is amplified a bit by dark English Crystal malt. Never tried it before, but what an incredible beer. It has a rich maltiness up front that dries out quick and leaves you ready for the next sip. Going to have to brew something in this vein real soon.

Nice! I will have to buy a bottle again. I remember the mineral character and stonefruit really stood out to me. My last TT attempt missed the mark for me. I upped the gypsum to 300ppm, but didn't get the crisp bite, and minerally character. I think I will try for 400ppm next time. I am looking to finally try Simpson's GP as well.
Kyle M.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:52:10 am »
If minerally character is desired, then it may not be just a high sulfate content you are looking for.  Boosting the chloride content a bit while maintaining the sulfate content may help produce the minerally character you are looking for.  200 to 300 ppm sulfate with 100 to 150 ppm chloride should help create the minerally character you are interested in.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:25:27 am »
After doing a little digging, it looks like someone found a report for another spring water drawn from Keighley, and it's relatively soft. TTLL definitely tastes pretty dry and minerally to me, though. Here's the values that were listed:

Mineral Analysis (mg/L)
Calcium 41.2
Magnesium 19.1
Sodium 26.5
Potassium 3.54
Sulphate 18.3
Chloride 12.9
Nitrate <1.00
Aluminium <0.01
Bicarbonates 278
Dry Residues at 180c 262
PH at source 7.30

Here's the thread where I saw this: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/22778-timothy-taylors-150th/

ESB - If you're not tasting the snatch, you're doing it wrong!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 08:52:50 pm »
If minerally character is desired, then it may not be just a high sulfate content you are looking for.  Boosting the chloride content a bit while maintaining the sulfate content may help produce the minerally character you are looking for.  200 to 300 ppm sulfate with 100 to 150 ppm chloride should help create the minerally character you are interested in.

Thanks, Martin! I believe I will do that.
Kyle M.