Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: more aeration on day 2-3?  (Read 6718 times)

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
more aeration on day 2-3?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:44 pm »
My understanding is that higher gravity beers have a longer respiration period so they need more oxygen than the usual 8-11 ppm (I believe under aeration will result in fusels if I'm not mistaken, so that could be your issue) I would go ahead and try aerating the second day but I would aerate on the low side to ensure there's no excess to create those off flavors
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: more aeration on day 2-3?
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 06:13:32 am »
I think I remember reading that you can aerate until half the gravity is met as well.  You need to give the yeasties fresh Oxygen to complete the work.  I'd give it 2-3 days of fermentation and hit it.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 08:31:39 am »
I mainly ask because on the last few big beers I have done i have gotten some slightly hot flavours. I kept the temp down fairly well with a fridge and controller. and they did age out.

You're going to age the barley wine, right?  So any hotness should mellow by drinking time.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the re-aeration.  Like Denny, I really haven't had a problem with attenuation on big beers.

Unless you're hot to try a new technique and see how it works, I'd just pitch the yeast and let it go.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 08:38:38 am »
I mainly ask because on the last few big beers I have done i have gotten some slightly hot flavours. I kept the temp down fairly well with a fridge and controller. and they did age out.

You're going to age the barley wine, right?  So any hotness should mellow by drinking time.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the re-aeration.  Like Denny, I really haven't had a problem with attenuation on big beers.

Unless you're hot to try a new technique and see how it works, I'd just pitch the yeast and let it go.

Yeah this one will age for about 5 months before it goes into a bottle or keg. I don't normally have any problem with attenuation either. Given that I am probably to lazy to drag out the mix stir again tonight anyway I am not going to worry about it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce