Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle Carbing - Round 2  (Read 5801 times)

Offline khillje

• Assistant Brewer
    • Twitter
Bottle Carbing - Round 2
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »
Hey!  So I usually keg my beers and force carbonate.  Previously when I've bottled, I've used a counter pressure bottle filler.  I've started doing some smaller experimental batches where I bottle condition.  I've learned after this failed bottling that I should use my scale and measure the priming sugar by weight because my bottles aren't carbonated (but do have slight carbonation) after about 5-6 weeks.  I was curious if I should try to pop the bottles and add a bit of priming sugar, then rebottle.  Would this ruin it?  How much sugar should I add?

Thanks!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Bottle Carbing - Round 2
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »
How does it taste? Does it taste sweeter than expected? If so you might have a slow one even after all that time if the bulk of the yeast were left behind due to process, etc yada yada .

Otherwise if it were me I'd make a sugar solution estimated to take up the slack and dose each bottle with a syringe. Give each a little swirl after recapping.

I hate trying to fix/save beer. Is the carbonation that off for the style would be my first question usually.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:54:32 am »
My first step would be to invert all the bottles a few times to get some yeast back into suspension, then store it at warm room temp for at least a week. It could be that your yeast dropped out before it finished conditioning.

Also, if you didn't stir your bottling bucked after adding both your beer and priming sugar, then you may end up with a mix of undercarbed and overcarbed bottles. I wouldn't blindly add sugar to every bottle unless you know all of them are consistantly undercarbed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:39:51 am »
do you see a layer of yeast laying in the bottom of the bottle?  I ferment with lager yeast for four weeks and then bottle. there is always enough yeast still that i get an 1/8 inch or so onthe bottom.  make sure you mix your sugar in reasonably well.  I don't get two hung up on weight versus volume. i did an experiment where i scooped something like 20 or 30 random scoops they were all with in a few grams of 155 grams.  one bottle in each batch is also a plastic pop bottle so i can see and squeeze
Don AHA member