Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stout Recipe  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
Stout Recipe
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:37:47 am »
What does everyone thinks of this recipe?  I was going to use flaked oats but my LHBS does not have any.

5.5 Gallon

10 lbs Two Row
 1 lbs Carapils
 1 lbs Crystal 60
 8 oz Chocolate
 8 oz Roasted Barley

.5 Warrior 60 minutes
.5 Willamette 20 minutes
.5 Willamett 5 minutes

WL001

Is this enough roast?  I don't want over the top (and I know this is far from it).  I have a Porter recipe I love that is exactly the sames except 8 oz of Black Malt instead of the 8 oz of Roasted Barley above.  Not sure what BJCP category this would be without oatmeal but based off my Porter recipe I think I will enjoy drinking it.  I am curious to do this just to see the difference between Black Patent and Black Barley.  I was tempted to add 8 oz each of Chocolate, Black Malt, and Roast Barley but was afraid it would be too roasty for my wife and I's taste bud's.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Stout Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:33 am »
For your flaked oats you can just head to the grocery store.  Quaker five minutes oats are the same thing.
Joe

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:59 am »
Oh, and in my oatmeal stout, I find that 8oz of roast barley is just a little bit much for my taste.  I use 6oz and bump my chocolate up to 10oz.
Joe

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 03:19:25 pm »
For your flaked oats you can just head to the grocery store.  Quaker five minutes oats are the same thing.

Is there anything extra in the quaker oats?  Preservatives, sugar, etc. 

Oh, and in my oatmeal stout, I find that 8oz of roast barley is just a little bit much for my taste.  I use 6oz and bump my chocolate up to 10oz.

Sounds good.  I will do that.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »

ryan - I would go to a Whole Foods or other similar store and get organic whole rolled oats out of the bulk container and weigh out exactly what you need.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:44:02 pm »
ryan - I would go to a Whole Foods or other similar store and get organic whole rolled oats out of the bulk container and weigh out exactly what you need.

Will do.  Thanks!

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:00:41 pm »

Nope, from right off the container:  "Ingredient: 100% Natural Whole Grain Quaker Quality Rolled Oats"
Joe

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 05:22:06 am »
I would use the quick oats.  Natural food store oatmeal will work, but you will need to gelatinize (par cook) it to get anything from them.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline blatz

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 07:00:50 am »
I would use the quick oats.  Natural food store oatmeal will work, but you will need to gelatinize (par cook) it to get anything from them.

that is incorrect, sir.

in fact, rolled oats are what you are buying from a homebrew store, not quick oats.  I would not use quick oats.

here's a very good description that I keep bookmarked:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53328

BTW - what hokerer recommended was just fine, I just like buying from the bulk bins at whole foods since they turn over quickly, are organic, and I can buy exactly the amount I need for the recipe.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:02:38 am by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 09:16:30 am »
in fact, rolled oats are what you are buying from a homebrew store, not quick oats.  I would not use quick oats.

here's a very good description that I keep bookmarked:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53328

BTW - what hokerer recommended was just fine, I just like buying from the bulk bins at whole foods since they turn over quickly, are organic, and I can buy exactly the amount I need for the recipe.

yep, that's why I specifically said "five minute oats".  They fall into the same category in the Northern Brewer post you reference as do homebrew store oats.  They're not the "quick oats" aka "two or three minute oats" (which Quaker also makes).
Joe

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:48:50 am »
The only difference between quick oats and regular rolled oats is that the quick oats are cut to cook more quickly. Other than that they are the same animal (or plant).  And flaked oats at my LHBS look nothing like rolled oats.  They are actually flattened thinner than the rolled oats are so that they work in the mash better.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline blatz

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 11:28:13 am »
guess its a case by case thing: the rolled oats I buy look virtually the same as the ones I get from NB.

I've used quick oats a few times before I found Kris's notes (wit, oatmeal stout) and I seemed to get a better end result - but that could have been due to a number of other variables.

That said in the grand scheme of it, I don't find that oatmeal is all that big of a contributor to any beer aside from some of the 'oiliness' in the mouthfeel, so it probably doesn't make a whole heckuva a lot of difference so long as they aren't steel cut or instant.