Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acid rinse cloudy  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Acid rinse cloudy
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:13:59 am »
Using StarSan to sanitize i have noticed the water gets really cloudy like really thin skim milk. Is this normal? I am getting similar with the low-foaming Saniclean, muddy water. I am using well water through a carbon filter.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Acid rinse cloudy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:18:26 am »
I use well water, too, and my StarSan mixture gets cloudy within a few minutes.  The pH remains below 3, though, so I'm pretty confident that it's OK to use.  Checking the pH is the only way to know what's really happening.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:33:32 am »
You can use distilled water to mix with an d it will stay clear for weeks or months.  I mix up 5 gallons in a old bucket with a well sealing lid and keep it around for ages.

Like Denny said, as long as the ph stays around 3 it will work fine.

Paul

***Edited for the normal reason.  I can't type.  8^(
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Acid rinse cloudy
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »
Even though I have super soft water mine will get lightly cloudy after a few weeks or a months. I was concerned so I contact 5 star. They pretty much stated what Denny has said under a pH of 3 you are good to go.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:07:30 pm »
I used to fall under the false assumption that cloudy meant not effective until I got my ph meter.  Under 3 is good for me  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:36 pm »
The cloudiness is due to the water hardness.  Use either RO, distilled, or ion-exchange softened water to prepare your Star San sanitizing solution.  I have used both RO and softened water and they both stay clear forever. 

And you thought there was no use for ion-exchange softened water in the brewery.

Enjoy! 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 04:24:36 pm »
I have some in a spray bottle that is 4+ years old. Crystal clear and effective. I make it with RO water 1/2 gallon at a time in a five gallon bucket. It'll get a bit murky with sediment and I've had bugs floating in it- which didn't affect anything. Still, I like to toss it periodically. Crazy at how well it works.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »
I've had bugs floating in it-

I thought I was the only one. 

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:48 am »
It also helps to keep the previous batch of StarSan around as a pre rinse. With that I get about 6 batches of beer out of one 5 gal batch.

Kai

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:46:09 pm »
Does it take much change in mineral content to see it clouding up?  In the past I have seen it take a week to a month for mine to cloud up, but for the brew session I had on Monday, after six hours my bucket looked like skim milk.  As far as I can tell, my water comes from a (Maryland) river and is held in a reservoir till needed.  If I could I would tell you the makeup of my water, but the water report I can get online is pretty much useless from a brewing standpoint (no numbers for pH, alkalinity, etc.).