Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh HOPS, How To?  (Read 14600 times)

Offline reineman

• 1st Kit
Fresh HOPS, How To?
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:03:07 am »
Hello brewers, I have an opportunity to acquire all the fresh hops I care to pick.  It's a farm here in Northern California and the varieties are all Northwest American.  The farm hasn't done AA analysis so that is a guess but doesn't bother me too much.

From reading I've done around the web it looks like a good ratio for converting a wet hop usage from dry hops is 4:1.  If anyone can confirm or comment please do so.

My primary question is regarding beer style.  The only harvest Ale style I have ever had is American Pale Ale.  I am wondering if there is a reason for this.  I can easilly do an IPA or Imperial IPA but is there somethng about fresh hops that would make that a bad idea?

Appreciate comments and opinions,
Rick

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Fresh HOPS, How To?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:34:59 am »
One thing I'd recommend is if you don't know the AA% of the hops, then you might want to keep the wet hops for your late additions and use hops with known AA values for your bittering addition.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:48:45 am »
At the NHC, Jammie Floyd of Ninkasi recommended using a high alpha bittering hop for the bittering addition and using the wet hops for later additions (here I am using wet as off the bine, some say fresh).

The ratio should be closer to 5 on the wet vs dry.

Hops are dried to 8 to 10% moisture. Use 10 as the math is easy. So those are 10% water 90% vegetable material.

Off the bine the hops are 80% water and 20% vegetable material. Since we are interested in the properties from the hop content not the water content, 90/20=4.5 times as much of the wet hops.

Edit - some say to round up to 5, or even use 6 times as you are really after the hop qualities in the beer.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:50:43 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:36:12 am »
My primary question is regarding beer style.  The only harvest Ale style I have ever had is American Pale Ale.  I am wondering if there is a reason for this.  I can easilly do an IPA or Imperial IPA but is there somethng about fresh hops that would make that a bad idea?

I think AIPA is the best choice for a fresh n wet hopped ale.

Although I am picking hops today,
and was thinking about a hoppy American farmhouse.   :o 

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »
Sorry to kick up a dead thread, but I've ordered a pound of fresh Citra that should show up sometime this month. I was thinking of throwing some in a batch of a sour beer I have in secondary now (something like a Flanders blonde). Would using the whole pound as a dry hop be crazy? I was planning on using 2oz of dry hops.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:23:28 am »
A pound fresh is roughly equivlent to 3 oz dried.  I'm not sure I'd like a dry hopped sour beer, but give it a shot if it appeals to you.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:38:10 am »
The APA is well suited because it showcases hops like no other beer.  You can do another style like an amber or a bitter but if you bump up the hops it'll turn it into an APA.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:30:47 am »
A pound fresh is roughly equivlent to 3 oz dried.  I'm not sure I'd like a dry hopped sour beer, but give it a shot if it appeals to you.

Mike at the madfermentationist blog raved about a sour tripel he dry-hopped with citra. I thought it sounded OK so I'll give it a shot.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:26:42 pm »
What's the typical extraction time for fresh hops? I was thinking of 5 days or so, is that too short/long?

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 07:49:02 pm »
So I ended up using half the hops in a basic tripel, and the other half in the pale sour. They lost some weight overnight, so I ended up with 200g in each.

The beers are fantastic. Insane, huge hop punch. A good showcase for the hops, but I think next time I'll use more like 1/3 or 1/4 of a pound for a batch. A 5-6:1 ratio seems really high. I'd say using 8oz fresh hops was comparable to using 4oz of dry hops, so more like a 2:1 ratio.

I know they had a lot more water weight, but I guess the volatile oils you lose during kilning made the hops pack more of a punch.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 01:14:01 pm »
I used 2 pounds of Cascade (8.4 AA here in Colorado) for 10 gallons of beer. I used an IPA base and used Columbus pellet hops for bittering. I put the fresh hops in  the sparge water, in the mash, first wort hops, and then huge knock-out addition. I then split the batch into 2 fermentations - using American Ale yeast in one and Saison yeast :o in the other. The Fresh Hop IPA is kegged and tasting pretty good but the Fresh Hop Saison is still in the secondary and tastes amazing.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout